Advanced search

Caring for a terminally ill DH and work

(11 Posts)
helpconfused Tue 29-Jan-19 12:23:29

I am not sure where to post for advice.
Has anyone given up or taken a break from work to look after a relative?
How do you go about financially supporting you both if neither has an income?
I am asking on behalf of a friend whose health isn't good, her DH is very unwell and she is still trying to work to keep money coming in. She is on the verge of falling apart.

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
LadyLapsang Wed 30-Jan-19 08:32:13

If her husband has cancer, Macmillan cancer support may be a good place to start. Do they have dependent children?

unweavedrainbow Wed 30-Jan-19 08:40:24

Benefits is the answer. PIP for the terminally ill person (there's a fast track if they have less than 6 months to live with no need for face to face assessment; you prove the illness by getting a form from the doctor) and income support/UC for the carer. There's also help for paying mortgage payments, although this comes in the form of a loan from the government.
She also needs to think about taking medical leave from work.
She needs to seek help from her husband's team if getting herself financially straight is overwhelming; that's what they're there for.

Willowkins Thu 31-Jan-19 14:37:18

I would just add, you can get Carer's Allowance from DWP if you look after someone on PIP for 35 hours or more and earn less than £120 per week (if for example you decided to work reduced hours). I second speaking to Macmillan about this.

HollowTalk Sat 02-Feb-19 19:17:01

Do they have critical illness cover on a mortgage?

helpconfused Thu 07-Feb-19 22:22:51

Thanks All.
She has been signed off at the moment. Yes it is cancer. His treatment has been stopped, yes it is terminal.

OP’s posts: |
Babyroobs Mon 18-Feb-19 00:10:16

He needs to claim PIP and then she can claim carers allowance if she is on unpaid leave or earning less than £120 a week. In addition to this he may be eligible for contributions based esa and/ or Universal credit.

MiniMum97 Mon 18-Feb-19 00:26:51

There is no help with mortgage interest until you have been on an income based benefit for 39 weeks.

PIP, Carer's Allowance, new-style ESA. If she is signed off sick she should be getting SSP. if they have less than £16k in savings then Universal Credit, Council Tax Reduction.

PIP and ESA should be fast-tracked

Have assumed the DH is under 65? If over 65 the benefits are completely different.

If they have less than £8k in savings and are on a low income Macmillan also offer grants if a few hundred pounds for pretty much anything that might improve a cancer patients wellbeing.

He should also be automatically eligible for a Blue Badge.

Macmillan have benefits advisors who can help with applications for all the above.

Coronapop Sat 23-Feb-19 19:18:22

If her DH has life insurance it may pay out early, some policies pay out if the insured has less than one year to live.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 23-Feb-19 19:21:58

DH is terminally ill, he gets ESA and PIP, I work two days a week on the bank for NHS although this can be more or less, the team I am in have been amazing about flexibility. I haven't applied for carers as my earnings are greater than what is allowed. We also get CTC and child benefit. Look into council tax relief as well.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 23-Feb-19 19:22:58

I am so sorry for your friend, it is a horrendous situation be in

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in