Talk

Advanced search

Some questions about cancer

(6 Posts)
BakesCakesAndEatsThem Fri 25-May-18 20:29:08

My best friend has cancer. It has spread. Apparently it's at "stage 4" just wondering how many stages are there?

OP’s posts: |
WinnieTheW0rm Fri 25-May-18 20:30:28

That's it for stages.

But what that stage means varies between cancers.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Fri 25-May-18 21:00:31

Stage IV is the most advanced. There's no stage V.

What type of cancer is it? And where has it spread to?

As Winnie says the stages have different implications depending on the cancer type, and various other factors.

Depending on those factors even stage IV cancers can often be managed for some time. It's not usually an immediate death sentence, which is what people sometimes imagine.

I am sorry about your friend's news and I wish them all the very best flowers

BakesCakesAndEatsThem Sat 26-May-18 13:16:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sat 26-May-18 13:24:13

I am sorry to hear that flowers I'm afraid I don't know anything about gallbladder cancer.

If she's under 50 she might find Shine cancer support helpful. They have a private Facebook group and run various events.

Moonkissedlegs Sat 09-Jun-18 13:09:33

Stage 4 means it has spread from the primary site to other organs, for example, lungs, liver, brains or also bones.

Once it gets to this stage it is classed as 'incurable' but it can still be treated and it doesn't mean its terminal, as I think 'terminal' means nothing more can be done. More and more people are living with stage 4 cancer as a 'chronic illness' this is treatable than an immediate death sentence, but it does depend on the cancer.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in