Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Refusing chemo

(9 Posts)
phoenix1973 Sat 13-Jan-18 14:56:08

Found a lump on my breast this week. Will go to doc on monday.
If i refuse chemo or radio and die, will my partner still get my life insurance paid out? I would want him to get paid out.

purpleunicorns Sat 13-Jan-18 19:49:50

Is there a reason you would refuse treatment? Does your life insurance include critical illness cover? As that should pay out once you get diagnosed, they need a consultants report but as far as I'm aware you don't need to have treatment for them to pay out

Chinnychinnychinnychib Sun 14-Jan-18 20:38:13

What makes you think it is cancer? I’m worried you’re jumping ahead to the worst case scenario. FWIW then yes, the insurance would pay out. Hope you are ok, try not to panic (I know how hard thagbis)

Viviennemary Sun 14-Jan-18 20:41:36

It is quite possible this lump is benign. Unless you have reason to think otherwise. I would hold fire on decisions till you find out exactly what's wrong and what your options are. Hope things are OK. As for Life Insurance not sure on this. But can't see you'd be forced to have treatment you didn't want.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Sun 14-Jan-18 20:45:01

Even if it is cancer, why do you automatically assume it will kill you? Many people survive until their normal life span after chemo and cancer treatment.
If you are eighty and this is a recurrence, that's obviously different.

Wolfiefan Sun 14-Jan-18 20:46:31

You are making a huge jump. Many many lumps are completely benign. I know. I had one or several!
And why would you refuse treatment if it's cancer?

SparklyMagpie Sun 14-Jan-18 20:47:13

I'm not sure OP, but I would assume they'd still pay out if it's in your cover

Why would you refuse treatment? Don't jump ahead too quick

Chaosofcalm Sun 14-Jan-18 20:51:36

I found a lump in my breast and the GP referred me to an oncologist. They had a look and feel and said it was all fine. This was 12 years ago and all is good.

14 years ago my Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer and she had one breast removed. She was offered chemo and they said it was up to her if she had it as is may reduce the chance of it returning. He has been cancer free since then.

You are definitely jumping the gun in this situation.

BumbleNova Sun 14-Jan-18 20:53:38

Why in hell would you refuse treatment?? 9 out 10 women diagnosed with breast cancer now survive, even if worst case it is cancer. You haven't even been diagnosed yet!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: