Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Update on bugger, DH has cancer

(35 Posts)
FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 29-Sep-17 21:46:51

About this time last year DH was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in the bowel with secondaries in the liver and in the words of his oncologist, chances of recovery, survival etc were slim but they were going to give it a go.

It's now a year on, he has had 10 doses of chemo, a procedure to enlarge his liver so that they can then take half of it away and finally a month ago his bowel tumour along with 23 lymph nodes removed.

He is still very much in recovery stage and will have more chemo later this year but the fact that we are here is amazing. I have had some lovely support from fellow MNers who have been through this, going through this or just supporting and for that I am truly grateful.

So thank you all and onwards and upwards

1234hello Fri 29-Sep-17 22:23:33

Amazing news! It's really important to hear the good news stories so thank you for sharing. Onwards and upwards indeed. X

MadisonAvenue Fri 29-Sep-17 22:25:27

That all sounds encouraging Five, sending my very best wishes flowers

Chasingsquirrels Fri 29-Sep-17 22:25:53

Lovely news to hear Five x

TwitterQueen1 Sat 30-Sep-17 10:11:42

Great news OP! So encouraging to hear stories like this. Wishing you all the best.

tasmaniandevil Sat 30-Sep-17 13:15:58

I was on another thread with you Five, that's great news. My DH is in remission from his colon cancer with liver mets. We're so grateful for the treatment he's had.

Willowkins Sat 30-Sep-17 15:08:42

Very happy to hear your news. smile

clairethewitch70 Sat 30-Sep-17 15:12:26

Lovely news Five smile

QOD Sat 30-Sep-17 15:21:36

💐

CiderwithBuda Sat 30-Sep-17 15:23:09

So nice to read!

DontDrinkDontSmoke Sat 30-Sep-17 15:32:22

Great post, I hope he continues to get better and you have him until you are both ancient flowers

missyB1 Sat 30-Sep-17 15:34:18

Gosh that's amazing! So pleased he's doing well.

LuluJakey1 Sat 30-Sep-17 15:36:34

That's really good news- amazing. Really pleased for you both. What a year!

PUGaLUGS Sat 30-Sep-17 16:03:42

Fanny, you and your family are always in my thoughts.

Lovely news. Keep on going my darling xx

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 30-Nov-17 12:20:06

I didn't think I would be here again, so what they though was abdominal fluid isn't and now he isn't going to get better. We have managed with help from friends to get a holiday booked leaving on Monday. This was on the advice of his consultant. Referral is winging its way to the hospice, God that sounds so final, for counselling and help with telling the DC's.

tasmaniandevil Thu 30-Nov-17 12:48:33

Oh Five. I'm sorry to hear your news. Keep strongthanks

mrsreynolds Thu 30-Nov-17 12:50:13

So very sorry five
Love to you and yours x

peelthecarrots Thu 30-Nov-17 13:00:31

I'm so gutted for you five. Thinking of you...just wish I could give you a real hug xx

Jetcatisback Thu 30-Nov-17 13:04:20

Oh Five, I'm so sorry. The girls and I are sending you all huge love and strength xxx

Grace1980 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:17:47

I'm so sorry sad wishing you love and strength x

MadisonAvenue Thu 30-Nov-17 21:22:22

Oh no Five, I'm so sorry. Sending lots of love and strength to you, your husband and children flowers

CiderwithBuda Thu 30-Nov-17 21:39:34

Oh. no. I am so sorry Five. There are no words. flowers

1234hello Fri 01-Dec-17 20:19:52

Oh bugger, bugger and more bugger. I am so sorry to hear this news. Hospice is a word that no one wants the hear in their lives. But they really are amazing places that are the absolutely best at what they do - pain relief and other helpful treatments, holistic wellbeing and support for the whole family. They also don’t mean that the end is very near. My relative was referred at least 6/7 months before he died.

Is there no further treatment for the cancer on offer? Is Lonsurf an option?

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 03-Dec-17 17:52:52

Thank your u for all you ur kind thoughts, chemo is starting again after Christmas to manage it, in the words of the consultant. She has written to a hospital in Manchester who are doing trials but she isn't holding out much hope as they cherry pick the ones that they think has the best chance of survival.

With a lot of help from a friends sister we are off to Mauritius tomorrow for an amazing holiday. My DDad died two years ago, cantankerous bugger died in Tahiti while on holiday, but his will was finalised last month and we have an amazing amount of money to spend on doing things with and without the children, I know that MN hates the "making memories" phrase but I am grateful that my children will be old enough to remember their dad. I work bank for the NHS and have ended up with an amazing team who will let me work whatever I like, accounts so always stuff to do, which will be a bit of respite for me. Children's schools have been really good especially DS's primary school.

mrsreynolds Sun 03-Dec-17 17:55:00

Have a wonderful time
My thoughts are with you and yours my love x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: