Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Terminal cancer and holidays

(7 Posts)
Lucisky Sat 23-Sep-17 08:05:11

Before I contact our local surgery on monday, I wonder if anyone can help? My brother has terminal cancer, and I would like him to come and stay here for a weeks'holiday' - be generally pampered etc. He needs nursing care twice a day - he currently has nurses into his home am and pm to dress areas where his skin has broken down (skin cancer). Would it be possible for me to get our local NHS nurses to do that? If not, I would be happy to pay a private nurse to come round. Has anyone done this? He has probably not got long to go, and he lives on his own some way away from me. Any and all advice welcome.

Lemons1571 Sat 23-Sep-17 15:03:18

Probably depends where he normally lives (is he in the uk too?). Im not sure an NHS nurse would come out to a patient that wasn't registered with the local gp practice. I'm also thinking he'd have issues getting travel insurance if he's coming from overseas.

Macmillan helpline might be able to advise you, or your local Maggies centre if you have one. Hope it works out that he can come and stay x

Lucisky Sat 23-Sep-17 21:42:14

Hi lemons, no he's in the UK. I hadn't thought about asking mcmillan, thanks. I will give them a ring.

Lucisky Mon 16-Oct-17 08:28:21

Update. Just in case anyone is in a similar situation, just thought I'd tell you -
I approached our local surgery, and the upshot was that the district nurses here have taken over his care for the week he is here (going home tomorrow). It did take quite a bit or organising, but it's doable. At least we got to have (his last) birthday party. Everyone has been very supportive.

notacooldad Mon 16-Oct-17 08:30:02

I'm glad you get time to spend with your brother.

ifonly4 Mon 16-Oct-17 10:56:26

So glad you had the chance to spend this time together - I'm sure it did your brother some good to have a break away from home in the company of people who love him.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Mon 16-Oct-17 15:59:26

I’m glad you were able to spend time together flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now