Talk

Advanced search

Dad is dying...

(6 Posts)
runner2 Wed 20-Sep-17 13:27:22

He has cancer and is receiving palliative care at home. He is deteriorating steadily and last week when his MacMillan nurse visited he had a very frank discussion with her. Mum said he asked a lot of questions about what is likely to happen next, and when he asked "How long have I got?" the nurse said "weeks". I'm not in denial, but I'm just wondering how the nurse had the confidence to say that? This was only the second time she has seen Dad, and although very frail he is still fully "functioning"... Is it that she can just tell from experience how close to the end he is?

OP’s posts: |
landgirl1 Wed 20-Sep-17 13:31:18

My thought is she was trying to truthfully answer his question. By being vague and saying "weeks" is not stipulating how many but does convey the feeling that sadly one must be prepared & also enjoy the time you have best as you can (my DSD has cancer & has been told 1 to 3 years but in reality, no ones really knows, its an educated guess)

Willowkins Thu 21-Sep-17 08:43:03

In my experience, Macmillan nurses work very closely with the MDT (multi-disciplinary team) so it's likely she has access to a range of medical information about your Dad rather than it being from just seeing him. So sorry you're going through this.flowers

1234hello Thu 21-Sep-17 22:08:32

Yes, she will be able to be confident enough to say that from her experience. I am completely untrained/inexperienced but I accurately predicted when my relative went from "months" to "weeks" to "days".

Very sorry that things have reached this stage with your Dad. flowers

whatisforteamum Sat 23-Sep-17 19:00:55

So sorry about your Dad...we be just. Been in is situation over the last few years.They can be wrong as my Dad was told a few months left over two years ago however they do know through the gp all the facts.My heart goes out to you OP.MF df passed away over a week ago xx

runner2 Sun 24-Sep-17 19:22:05

Thank you whatisforteamum and I'm sorry about your dad too flowers

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in