Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Close family member possible cancer.

(10 Posts)
thesunwillout Wed 17-May-17 22:09:34

Just that. I've noone to talk to. Really shocked and don't know where else to post. Single mum to one challenging child with mental health illness and I am also long term unwell. Don't want to give too much away, but the family member is the only one we can rely on, and have a good relationship with. This is shit, I am so sad. Right now I feel so mixed up about upcoming possibilities, can't stop searching net, just so tired of crap. This person is only 50's. When I am around this person I find I am looking at them in a different way. What the hell sad is this shock? Is this normal. How am I going to be there for them if I am so weak. Will I rally and become my usual reliable self. It's not even my life threatened here and I don't understand my feelings. Does anyone understand sad thank you

1234hello Fri 19-May-17 19:07:07

I'm really sorry to hear this sun

Any and every emotion is normal at the time.

Try not to panic/worry too much until you have more of an idea of diagnosis (easier said than done I know). Google is not your friend at this moment in time so stop that right now!

Lots of cancers are very treatable and more of a royal pain in the arse than necessarily a death sentence. I do understand your worry though.

How have you been since you posted?

thesunwillout Fri 19-May-17 19:26:17

Hello there, thanks so much for your reply. I guess I have been looking at it extremely bleakly, but I already have so much on my shoulders which makes me negative because of the stress I just about cope with. Just have this sad sad feeling inside. Won't know till next week of diagnosis. I hope it's ok to post here?

1234hello Fri 19-May-17 21:59:07

Of course, post away.

Yes, it must be so so tough being LP to a child with MH problems, and I'm sure you have other crap to deal with like so many of us.

Without sounding trite, maybe try some relaxation techniques or treat yourself somehow to get through the next few days, and indeed more generally. Sending you strength and positive vibes for your relative x

1234hello Fri 19-May-17 22:02:22

Sorry, and you have health problems too. That is tough. Take it steady. Once you know a bit more you will find there are places/people who can support your relative and you with their cancer treatment etc. There is a cancer support thread over in General Health if and when you have questions about anything. They are a lovely bunch.

thesunwillout Sat 20-May-17 09:03:16

Thankyou again for your helpful and kind posts. It's a sort of settling in to it feeling combined with rage. My health prob makes it hard to concentrate and function so overload makes it all hard to be anywhere near efficient. Are you ok user?

thesunwillout Sat 20-May-17 09:04:12

1234Hello not user

1234hello Sat 20-May-17 09:55:03

I'm ok thank you. Thanks for asking. I feel for you because I have some similar difficult stuff to deal with. One foot in front of the other hey? flowers

Chasingsquirrels Sat 20-May-17 09:58:57

It's a shock to everyone, I went through a very difficult phase when DH was diagnosed last year - and yes I did come through that, I think it was basically shock, and was able to support him and care for him throughout.

Hoping for positive news for your relative x

thesunwillout Sun 21-May-17 08:47:45

Thanks, I know you lost your dh and appreciate you posting. We all deal differently with unexpected news and I hope I can be supportive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now