Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Holiday insurance for terminal prognosis?

(16 Posts)
0nTheEdge Wed 19-Apr-17 11:27:01

I'm hoping someone can help me. My FIL would like to take my MIL on a cruise but they are struggling to get insurance. She has just finished chemo and radio and has a slot before starting more chemo. Apart from her brain tumour she is in good health and is in her early sixties. She had a terminal prognosis but I'm pretty sure we're not quite in the 'within 6 months' timeframe yet. Can anyone recommend somewhere for travel insurance? FIL had tried lots of places as suggested by Macmillan but no joy. Thanks in advance.

LavenderRains Wed 19-Apr-17 13:27:23

flowers my father had more trouble getting cruise insurance for his high blood pressure than his cancer! He did get some tho, I will have to ask him as I can't remember. Which ones have u tried? I know it wasn't cheap.....

0nTheEdge Wed 19-Apr-17 15:34:30

That would be very very much appreciated, thank you. I'm not sure which he's tried to be honest, my dh said FIL has gone through a list from Macmillan and the only one who would insure said £3k each! I suggested insured with as heard they're good but that's all i know. Will ask hubby for the list of no goes.

1Evaline1 Wed 19-Apr-17 16:03:20

How long will the cruise be for op

LavenderRains Wed 19-Apr-17 20:10:56

My dad said he had (free ) insurance with his bank but had to pay £200 when he told them about the cancer. They were then happy to insure him. He said for you to try;
staysure.co.uk &
insurancewith.com

Best wishes flowers

0nTheEdge Wed 19-Apr-17 20:32:47

Thank you lavender. I hope your dad is doing ok.
Evaline - it's a Mediterranean cruise for 14 nights. We've tried medisafe, Eurotunnel, orbis, allianze and insurewith.

LavenderRains Wed 19-Apr-17 21:14:22

I see you have tried insurewith. Good luck with finding something
Dad has been cancer clear for 3 years now thanks, although he has heart and lung problems nowsad and they can't do much to help now. It's heartbreaking isn't it flowers

Bumply Wed 19-Apr-17 21:29:39

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/Travel-advice-travel-insurance-for-cancer-sufferers/amp/

Came across this when checking who I'd got cover with for ds2s asthma.

You've tried some of these, but maybe one of them is of use

0nTheEdge Thu 20-Apr-17 21:15:28

Thank you bumply, I've passed the article on to my dh. I think it's looking like it's not happening now due to delayed radio effects kicking in quite massively.
Sorry to hear you dad is having problems lavender. It is heartbreaking, i totally agree.

Midnightprobs Thu 20-Apr-17 21:20:05

Just an idea OP, not sure if it is considered reckless but my PILs have a multitude of health problems, including cancer, stroke, heart meds etc and they decided that they would just go on holiday without insurance. They did it, there wasn't a problem.

Crumbs1 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:28:38

I use All clear - not terminal but co morbidities with poor prognosis. Paid out when needed.

Teabagtits Thu 20-Apr-17 21:33:18

I think it's age c Ncern who lost insurance companies for people with health problems. I've used all clear before and their prices were good but this was for a chronic rather than terminal illness

Toomanycats99 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:40:32

Midnight - very reckless. I worked for a medical assistance company and bills can run into thousands even in an eu country with reciprocal healthcare agreements. For example if you needed to come home on a stretcher it was 9 seats plus the cost of a nurse's flights and time! Even something minor that may cause you to miss your flight can add up. I would never go away without insurance.

LavenderRains Thu 20-Apr-17 21:50:04

op sorry to hear that. My dad's effects from the radiotherapy got much worse after the treatment finished. He was soooo tired and in pain from the area targeted he had a job to walk up the road. flowers

Friendofsadgirl Thu 20-Apr-17 21:56:52

Allclear ,
Staysure
It's So Easy

Hope your MIL gets a chance to go.

0nTheEdge Fri 21-Apr-17 06:54:51

They couldn't risk going without insurance, could end up bankrupted. I think they are going to look into UK holidays. It's probably for the best as she had a seizure yesterday which was a bit of a shock and we just want her to be safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now