Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Bowel Cancer Worries

(13 Posts)
worriedme04 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:32:39

I started to get various symptoms over Xmas and had several tests done which all came back neg-I bought an online FOBT test and this came back positive.The only symptom I am left with is constant burping and wind.
The Docs do not seem concerned that my stool test for hidden blood was positive and everything I read says I should have further testing.I am 39.
I KNOW I do not have any of the red flag symptoms and like I say the only thing I a left with is constant burping-over 50 a day.
I had a endoscopy in Jan so I know everything with my stomach is all ok-had swabs for Celiac and H Pylori also.
I made the mistake of reading that a sign of Bowel Cancer was burping a lot and with my positive stool test I cannot help be worried that there is maybe something being missed with my Bowels as Docs do not seem worried and do not think further testing is ness.
It is really hard to just accept this and then you hear of people being told they are ok and left months etc and it turning out they did in fact have a Cancer.
Please please can someone help me with this? Can I demand to have a Colonoscopy? or do I just need to trust in the Docs and hope this burping goes away and that it is nothing serious?
Thanks to anyone who replies.
This is really worrying me.

worriedme04 Fri 07-Apr-17 14:26:41

Anyone help?

anotherdayanotherdinner Mon 10-Apr-17 20:37:04

Hi, I was diagnosed with bowel cancer a few months ago. Had an op to remove some bowel, waiting for chemo but all signs are positive that I will make a full recovery. I didn't have the same symptoms as you. I thought I had ibs, the symptoms were the same. The only way that I know a diagnosis can be confirmed is through a colonoscopy. That's how they found mine. Drs should be referring people for further tests if cancer is suspected. Chances are that you'll not have cancer, I guess if there was a family history you would have been sent for a colonoscopy already. I would maybe try and go back and ask for a colonoscopy. Try and see a different dr if you usually see the same one, tell them your worried. It only takes a minute to make a referral I think. Let me know how you get on.

worriedme04 Thu 13-Apr-17 09:53:46

Thank you for taking the time to reply.I am sorry you have been diagnosed but happy to hear that your recovery is positive.
I do not wish to sound insensitive and if this is the case please do just ignore me.
I have been told I have IBS also,I do have occasional stomach pain and bouts of D and C so I know these are typical IBS symptoms,Its not constant-except for the time over the Holidays which is why I went to the Docs.
I guess if it was something more serious mt symptoms would be more constant? where yours? What prompted the Docs to refer you for a Colonoscopy?
I will be going back soon to speak to the Doctors and tell them my worries as this is slowly taking over and I am very anxious.
Thank you again and all the best.

Acornantics Thu 13-Apr-17 10:06:09

When I was in my early 20s, I had a colonoscopy. My DF had previously been treated for bowel cancer and although I wasn't high risk due to age and lifestyle, my doctor referred me anyway due to the family history; I was very anxious about the whole thing. I think on balance, he wanted to help put my mind at rest, which I'm very grateful for, as it worked.

I think any potential bowel cancer symptoms should be carefully assessed, there are many different indicators but it can be treated successfully if caught early. In your situation, I'd go back and see your doctor, request a colonoscopy, and seek a second opinion if it's denied. Is it an option to pay privately?

Munchkin1412 Thu 13-Apr-17 14:57:21

I've just had a colonoscopy for ibs symptoms. They came on very suddenly and are relentless ( not in bouts) I have a family history of bowel cancer though so I think that swayed things . I was private though so they don't care about the cost as much - I initially had two consultations with my gp and I doubt she would've referred me as I'm only 37 and she said cancer was v unlikely. For what it's worth if they were worried at all they probably would have referred you.

Munchkin1412 Thu 13-Apr-17 14:59:06

My GP did do blood and stool tests - have they done those?

worriedme04 Thu 13-Apr-17 18:20:50

The Doctors do not seem worried-it is just me that is.
I will be going back to speak to them at some point before the end of this month so will see what is said.
I know nothing will put my worries to bed unless I have a Colonoscopy.
I have had full bloods done and a stool Calprotecin test-they would not do a stool test for Hidden blood-so I did one of these myself.
Like I say all tests apart from the home test came back neg.
However I know the only way to say for sure that there is no Cancer,is to have the Colonoscopy.
Thanks again all.

anotherdayanotherdinner Thu 13-Apr-17 19:12:44

My symptoms were pretty much constant for a good 6 months, daily pain and obvious blood in my stools at the end too. The only way to diagnose bowel cancer is with a colonoscopy. I'm sure you'll be fine, the anxiety around this is making you feel worse I'm sure but like you said you'll probably only stop worrying once you know. The drs will only refer you for tests if you have the symptoms of cancer. Read up on these and make sure you stress to the doctors all the ones you have. Good luck flowers

Tw1nsetAndPearls Thu 13-Apr-17 21:35:32

I have a form of bowel cancer. I didn't have burping but i also didn't have the blood in the poo that people associate with cancer. I had IBS coupled with anaemia. My poo test came back ok and it was only thanks to my persistent GP that I got a colonoscopy. She said that the combination of anaemia with IBS symptoms is a big red flag. Do you have anemia as well? Has that been checked? I have a NET Tumour in my bowel, am not sure how different that is from "traditional" bowel cancer.

For years I had a feeling that something was wrong but felt like I was creating work for the doctor or that I would come across as a hypochondriac. I now have stage 3 cancer, I should be OK but I could have saved myself and my family a lot of heartache if I had listened to my inner voice that said something was wrong.

Tw1nsetAndPearls Thu 13-Apr-17 21:36:45

If it is relevant, I am 42, so please don't assume that you could be too young to have cancer.

Finewineandcake Tue 30-May-17 12:33:32

Hi, hope someone can help me too. Started having very bad diarrhoea about 5 weeks ago. Massively bloated tummy and gurgling gut. I have always bled when having a poo and over the past years I have had 6 colonoscopies - I have a rectocele and piles. The last one was exactly a year ago when my piles were banded. I have seen my doctor who did blood and stool tests, all came back ok. 3 weeks ago Doctor diagnosed diverticula disease and gave me antibiotics and medicine to stop the diarrhoea. Not surprisingly the antibios made the diarrhoea worse! No that I am off the antibios, my poo is fairly back to normal. Went back and the doctor said he would arrange another colonoscopy, but I have received a letter from the hospital for a pelvic/abdo CT scan. I am happy about this as my symptoms can also indicate ovarian cancer (not that I am over worrying about this!). I also had a TV scan at the same time last year and all clear on my ovaries. The CT scan is on Thursday and it can't come quick enough as for the past 2 days I have developed a really painful back ache. I can also feel pain in left lower abdomen and can feel a sausage shaped lump. I am petrified, but wondered if after having an all clear colonoscopy only 1 year ago I am being my usual anxious self, where any lump, bump, cough or ache I automatically self diagnose as worse case scenario.

Finewineandcake Tue 30-May-17 12:34:05

And I am 53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now