Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Devastated

(14 Posts)
Musicaltheatremum Mon 06-Feb-17 23:03:41

I'm a GP. My partner at work (there are 6 of us) has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer with secondaries. All the remaining partners are devastated. Have to go in tomorrow and tell my staff a rough idea of what is going on(he's still undergoing tests and doesn't want too much said until, after this) and also have to deal with patients who won't understand when we say he's on indefinite leave. He's just 60, an amazing colleague and GP. life is not fair

OfDragonsDeep Mon 06-Feb-17 23:20:03

So sorry flowers

user1473539918 Mon 06-Feb-17 23:24:08

So sorry.
My mother had pancreatic cancer.
Thoughts are with you

321zerobaby Mon 06-Feb-17 23:32:47

So sorry. My fil died of this aged 57, devastating is the right word for it, such a cruel cancer with no warnings.

PacificDogwod Tue 07-Feb-17 07:35:55

That is terrible, so sorry for him and you all thanks

We had a partner off with breast Ca a number of years ago and I vividly remember the shock of it being so close to 'home' (well, work, but you know what I mean). Different scenario, entirely, I know sad

Badders123 Tue 07-Feb-17 16:40:38

I'm very sorry
What a shock for you all
💐

echt Sat 11-Feb-17 05:36:57

It's utterly cack, Musical, slice it where you will.

thanks

Whileweareonthesubject Sat 11-Feb-17 05:53:18

sad Very sad. Also, because of your occupation, you and his colleagues will have a very good understanding of what this means for him, as well as the difficulty of explaining to your patients, who won't. A sad and difficult situation for you all.

user1486613612 Sat 11-Feb-17 06:01:46

I'm so sorry. sad I once heard this radio program where a GP told of a story when a patient had asked if there was a patient's association for people with pancreatic cancer, and he (the gp) had sadly had to admit there was none, because there were no survivors - nobody was around sufficiently long time to start a patient support group... sad

MagicChicken Sat 11-Feb-17 06:11:00

I am sorry for you and your colleague. I think the best thing to do is not to tell his patients anything specific, just say he's retired suddenly due to ill health, or even just 'retired.' At 60 I doubt any of them will think it unusual and he doesn't owe his patients an explanation.

There will be time for that later. flowers

phoebe2016 Sat 11-Feb-17 06:40:35

Very sorry to hear about your colleague flowers my Grandad had it and it was ferocious, no hope of treatment. At least he was 79 and had lead a full life, 60 is no age at all. I lost my Mum at that age and it's just too young. All you can do is be there to support your friend and colleague as much as possible.

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 11-Feb-17 07:15:59

Very sorry. We lost my MIL 3 years ago to this dreadful illness. DH and I didn't really have any idea about what a horrific diagnosis it was - she did as she was a GP herself. It is a sneaking horrible cancer. She had mets in her lungs, liver and bones by the time she was diagnosed.

Good luck supporting your partner and telling the staff. So horrible.

sandgrown Sat 11-Feb-17 07:24:15

My mum.died very suddenly of pancreatic cancer. I was told its hard to treat as few symptoms until quite advanced . It's a horrible disease. We have just been told two colleagues have breast cancer. It certainly puts things in perspective.

frazzled3ds Sat 11-Feb-17 18:34:32

Thoughts with you OP and your colleagues, my DF was told yesterday (on his birthday) that he has pancreatic cancer and there's nothing they can do.....

I hope your colleague and all those impacted by this news are able to support each other in some way - it really is an utter bastard :-/

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now