Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Stage 4 kidney failure

(5 Posts)
Blossombee Mon 23-Jan-17 17:41:12

Does anyone know of the prognosis for stage 4 renal failure in a 90 year old Alzheimer's sufferer who also has fluid around heart? She says she's not hungry but eats everything we give her. Her feet a blue, calfs light purple. She doesn't go to the toilet much. Very pale, red akin round eyes, very thin I can see the tendon at the back of her foot going up the leg to her knees. Skin dry itchy flaking off like dundruft but there is no swelling anywhere. Feet swell a couple of times previously. Should we be contacting hospice?

Blossombee Mon 23-Jan-17 18:00:58

She also sleeps about 17 hours at night then nods off during the day and is very breathless

MrsJayy Mon 23-Jan-17 18:04:36

Stage 5 is total failure what is the Drs saying ?

Blossombee Mon 23-Jan-17 18:11:51

Not very concerned which is strange. Next blood test has been requested. Oxygen was 96 a few weeks ago so no need for oxygen therapy. Would you say she's on stage 5 now? A nurse is coming to see if she would benefit from hospice or if she would qualify for heir care. The nurse is more concerned than the doctor and suggested to keep her comfortable and give her to eat and drink what she wants. She also said with her underlying health conditions like the heart she is much more likely to progress into stage 5 within a short time. sad

MrsJayy Mon 23-Jan-17 19:36:35

Oh it sounds very stressful with the uncertainty and so sad I think maybe go by the nurse i am very sorry you and the elderlylady is going through this flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now