Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Delay to cancer surgery

(6 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Wed 04-Jan-17 15:49:54

My mum has recently been diagnosed with cancer of the kidney (3cm tumour) (mid November 2016). They've recommended surgery after a few tests in December ( to ensure her heart is up to surgery).

However they're now saying that they won't operate until February as their operating lists are full.

We're all concerned about this, not least as the longer it's left the more chance that it will spread.

Is there anyway we can take steps to move this forward? Who should we talk to? Can she be referred to a different hospital or it will that just cause further delays?

We've spoken to Macmillan, who've advised us to contact PALS. They haven't got back to us yet, but I'm not sure if they would help as it seems to be more about complains than getting something done more quickly.

Any advice would be gratefully received, we're at our wits end.

Headofthehive55 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:01:47

I know studies have shown that there is no difference if you have to wait a month or so.

I was offered either a slot a month away or one immediately. I was told it makes no real difference.

WiltingTulip Sun 15-Jan-17 07:05:05

So has she had all the tests done? If so she may have had less need for the surgery sooner.

I had advanced cancer and was offered surgery in 3 days or 4 weeks and went with the 4 weeks (lots to organise) and was told there was no increased risk.

I know this is hard to hear as you're obviously very concerned. When the dr informed her of the delay did she ask about risks involved with delaying it? If not she can ring and ask. I would ring if I hadn't been told explicitly about the risks of delaying treatment, for peace of mind.

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 15-Jan-17 22:39:12

Thank you. She had the tests as the results would determine whether or not they'd operate.

They told her that the tumour would spread and they estimated she'd have 2 years max left, which to me implies that the sooner the better.

Since I posted they've been in contact with PALS who've put the pressure on and they've agreed to operate next week. We feel very relieved but also (obviously) still very worried.

WiltingTulip Sun 15-Jan-17 23:37:12

I'm sorry for her prognosis but glad she has been pushed forward. You'll all have a very hectic few months ahead of you, I wish you all the best x

anotherprosecco Thu 23-Mar-17 07:59:47

Just came across your post OP, and had to reply. My DH was diagnosed with kidney cancer in October 2004, had surgery nearly 3 months later. The delay was mainly due to having to wait for results of CT and MRI scans to see whether the tumour had spread outside of the kidney. His entire kidney was removed along with the tumour, and he made a good recovery. I am pleased to say he is still here, nearly 13 years later! He still has annual CT scans, a nervous time, but pleased to say another reassuring result last week. Hope everything went well for your DM.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: