Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Breast cancer genetics

(7 Posts)
PetalMettle Mon 05-Dec-16 20:32:35

I wondered if anyone has any advice please? My sister had breast cancer age 42 (so just outside the automatic referral age for siblings). Now my other sister has to have a lumpectomy for pre cancerous cells. Cancer research website says If two siblings with breast cancer (or one diagnosed before 40) you should see GP for referral to breast clinic under nice guidelines. Should I do this anyway?

1234hello Mon 05-Dec-16 21:21:19

No direct experience, but yes, I would. Sorry to hear about your sisters.

SummerSazz Mon 05-Dec-16 21:23:04

Yes. Speak to the Gp. I have had mammograms since 40 as mother and maternal grandmother had it. Do you have any relatives 'up the chain' on the maternal side who have suffered?

togetherlikeglue Mon 05-Dec-16 21:38:55

Sorry to hear about your sisters. Yes do go and talk with your GP and ask for a referral to family history unit. I am also having regular mammograms ( I'm 46), it's good to be monitored if you have family history.

PetalMettle Mon 05-Dec-16 21:51:32

Thanks all. No older maternal history as far as I'm aware - mum is 74, gran 96. I'm 35. Sister who's having the lumpectomy had regular mammograms from 40 anyway as she's in the US

RockNRollNerd Wed 28-Dec-16 22:06:41

Further up the chain you might find tales of family members who died of 'women's problems' or similar as the BRCA gene also increases the risk of ovarian cancer I believe. Certainly this was the case with the family of our friend - the grandma had tales of aunt's and her grandmother having 'women's problems' which was all the sensibilities of their times let them refer to. Please do see your GP though - there are so many options if you do have the gene including things like regular mammograms etc - one of those caught our friend's breast cancer so early (they said if she'd had the scan a month earlier nothing would have shown up) she only needed and lumpectomy and radiotherapy and lived another 20 years (died of unrelated causes).

SomewhereOver Sat 15-Apr-17 21:33:59

Hi Petal, I've just come across this thread and thought I'd let you know about the National Hereditary Breast Cancer Helpline http://www.breastcancergenetics.co.uk

I believe they may be able to support you in pushing to get access to genetic testing if you are having trouble getting a referral.

All the best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now