Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Dad in hospital with an infection that isnt responding to IV antibiotics (Terminal prostate cancer)

(11 Posts)
whatisforteamum Sun 25-Sep-16 08:48:03

Dad was given a yr to live March 2015 after chemo stopped working and the cancer is in his bladder spine and prostate.
Despite having the agressive small cell type of cancer he has been doing well,His legs kept swelling and the skin tearing as it was so thin,He had it bandaged and just got on with life.Last week gp gave him antibiotics.then by monday he was admitted to hospital with a fever and very red legs.
They have tried several different antibiotics and his temp went down a bit.He is haveing a ct scan for his hip pain,

He told me not to worry and i know infections happen however would you be worried if it were your dad ?

whatisforteamum Sun 25-Sep-16 10:42:12

Anyone in similar situation

user1474792594 Sun 25-Sep-16 10:44:36

Firstly, sorry you're in this position. flowers

With my mum, she had a Uti that they were on the last line of defence before it started to respond. They had tried loads. She had terminal cancer too.

I would be worried xx can you have a chat to the doctor and get a sense of what they think?

whatisforteamum Sun 25-Sep-16 10:58:26

Dads had UTI s before.They have done blood tests.Off to work now however he will be on my mind x

whatisforteamum Sun 25-Sep-16 11:00:57

My Mum is the next of kin and she isnt impressed as they almost gave dad someone else meds and messed up his scan so he needs another.She knows the score having had treatment for incurable cancer herself,sad times.

user1474792594 Sun 25-Sep-16 11:03:10

That's sadly all too common xx thinking of you.

Freezingwinter Sun 25-Sep-16 11:04:39

Hope he and you and everyone is holding up. Where is the infection? His bladder? They should send a sample to the lab to see what bugs are in there and what antibiotics they're sensitive too.

whatisforteamum Sun 25-Sep-16 11:17:52

The infection is in both legs due to thin skin tearing for months and water retention x

Freezingwinter Sun 25-Sep-16 12:37:27

I see. Perhaps they can take a swab? Or a sample of the fluid. It can be sent for an investigation called an Mc&s to test what bugs are in. How are you OP?

whatisforteamum Sun 25-Sep-16 22:29:17

worried tbh.He has been in a week although he sounds in good spirits.

AutumnLeaves61 Mon 26-Sep-16 13:57:51

How's he doing today? I am so sorry for what you are all going through. Your dad sounds wonderful! I am not a medic. I would hope/expect they are testing the bug causing the infection to check whether the a/b is the most effective one - but they won't mind you asking, and about what's happening and how they think it's going

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now