Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

DH and cancer...not again?

(4 Posts)
MaggieMcVitie Fri 26-Feb-16 08:55:08

DH was diagnosed with cancer of the tongue almost 5 years ago. After extensive surgery he made a good recovery and has been clear (although we have had the odd scare) ever since.

About 10 months ago he began to experience bleeding from his mouth at night - never very much but his pillow would be stained in the morning. He reported this to his oncologist who did bloods, CT, chest x-Ray but thankfully all came back clear.

Next Friday will be his 5 year anniversary and we have an appointment for one of his routine check ups with his onc. Should be a time for thankfulness and cautious celebration...except...he has developed a persistent cough and ulcerated areas around the edge of the graft on his tongue. It's very sore and affecting his eating. His voice sounds hoarse although he doesn't seem to have a cold as such. Buggar.

He has spoken to his oncologist who said as next Friday's appointment is arranged he will wait to see him then, there's nothing available In the meantime anyway.

So we're back to playing the waiting game. He not sleeping and very worried. I'm worried but trying to convince myself he's just run down, has a virus or something. Can't believe the irony of the timing. Bloody cancer.

LavenderRain Fri 26-Feb-16 22:01:22

That's very scary op but you don't know that it is cancer, it could be anything.
I really hope this time next week you are celebrating with DH,

Best wishes thanks

mumofthemonsters808 Fri 26-Feb-16 22:08:18

I also hope it is not what you describe, such a stressful time for you and your family. Life is so hard at times.

MaggieMcVitie Sun 28-Feb-16 22:09:50

Thank you both. I'm not being maudlin and I know it may not be anything, it's just when you've been there before anything slightly odd makes you a bit twitchy...hence my 'bloody cancer' comment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now