Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Friends DH given 3-5 yrs to live. How do I support her?

(4 Posts)
LuckyLuckyMe Fri 23-Oct-15 11:18:17

Just that really. Is there anything I can do besides being there for her?

Would giving them a gift of a weekend away help? I feel like I can't really do anything for them.

CakeUpWall Fri 23-Oct-15 11:46:01

Sorry to hear about your friend's DH. sad
I was in your position a couple of years ago.
A weekend away for them is a lovely idea. When my friend wanted to do this with her DH, what meant more to her than someone paying for it was having a friend to enable it to happen - by dealing with the home stuff. So, children, pets, laundry etc.

Going forward, as things worsened, I used to walk her dog in the mornings, take away & sort out laundry, cook a few meals and general stuff like tidying kitchen & putting out bins. She was back & forth to hospital/ hospice and just didn't have the time or energy for the more mundane aspects of family life.

It's great that you are there and willing to help your friend. Let her lead, regarding how involved she wants you and others to be. Thinking of you all. flowers

LuckyLuckyMe Fri 23-Oct-15 13:37:22

Thank you so much cakeupwall. Looking after DC etc so that they can go away is a great idea.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Thu 12-Nov-15 04:17:00

What a lovely thought!

I would have thought the offer of time away, plus any practical help such as batch cooking /childcare / house work would be well received. As up thread said, would take your friends lead!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: