Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

bowel cancer...will he get treatment

(5 Posts)
ghostspirit Sat 12-Sep-15 19:44:28

I have just been told my brother has bowel cancer. He is an alcholic and i read this increses his chances of getting it. My babys dad has said they probably wont treat him if hes an alcholic? also i read that people with bowl cancer can have anything from 1 year to 10 years. so that means its a terminal illness? and hes likely to die from it.

i was abused by him as a child. but i dont hate him and i dont want him to be in any pain/suffering.. and i dont want him to die. i want him to be happy

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 12-Sep-15 20:12:49

My friend's DH (in his 50s at diagnosis) had bowel cancer with secondaries in his liver and hotspots in his lungs, he is also an alcoholic but yes, he got treatment (so much so that he is now in remission and has kicked the booze too). I hope you get the outcome you want OP.

nancy75 Sat 12-Sep-15 20:15:24

Bowel Cancer is not always terminal - depends where it is in the bowel.
My mum had it 10 years ago and had surgery to have the cancer and part of the bowel removed, followed by low level of chemo - she is cancer free now and in very good health

FadedRed Sat 12-Sep-15 20:22:11

He will be offered appropriate treatment regardless of his alcohol problem, Op. It would not be ethical to refuse treatment based on that or other lifestyle issues.
However, the efficacy of any treatment will depend on the stage of the illness, the physical fitness or otherwise of your brother, and his ability to comply with the treatment. People will alcohol or other 'substance dependency' problems can in many cases lead somewhat chaotic lives and complying with rigorous treatment regimes can be difficult.
I hope you get the outcome you want, Op.

ghostspirit Sat 12-Sep-15 21:24:14

thankyou everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now