Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Can doctors mention possibility of cancer before testing?

(10 Posts)
toohardtothinkofaname Mon 10-Aug-15 22:22:17

thats it really.

Someone I know has experienced on/off stomach pains & following an appointment with the doctor was too it 'could be cancer or an ulcer' and gave them an appointment for a camera down the throat on September 3rd. That doesn't sound right to me they'd diagnose a possibility so flippantly & then not follow it up right away.

Thoughts please?

lougle Mon 10-Aug-15 22:30:42

Yes, they can give potential diagnoses. It's quite possible that it's been phrased as 'without taking a look I couldn't tell if it's cancer or an ulcer or nothing at all...' rather than 'this could be cancer'.

toohardtothinkofaname Mon 10-Aug-15 22:41:52

Got it, thanks lougle

Tanfastic Tue 11-Aug-15 19:00:33

Yes they can. When my ds had a suspicious lump in his neck the gp said it could be lymphoma (or lots of other things). He had to put suspected cancer on the referral
To get a consultant appt urgently.

Tanfastic Tue 11-Aug-15 19:03:50

Just to add it wasn't lymphoma. It was something very harmless.

My mum recently had the camera down the throat due to stomach problems and was told it could be a multitude if things but the gp didn't elaborate.

StealthPolarBear Tue 11-Aug-15 19:05:10

Is there meant to be a two week wait for potential cancer and the 3rd would breach it?

CamelHump Tue 11-Aug-15 19:06:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StealthPolarBear Tue 11-Aug-15 19:07:46

Local anaesthetic I believe

lougle Tue 11-Aug-15 21:43:09

Local anaesthetic +/- sedation.

NanaNina Tue 18-Aug-15 15:20:24

It isn't a camera as such Camel - it's a narrow tube called an endoscope and has a tiny camera attached to the end, it's passed through your mouth and throat and into your stomach. Patients have the option of sedation (so they don't feel anything) or a local anaesthetic spray in the throat, which tastes horrid. I opted for the latter and it was uncomfortable and made my eyes water but the nurse was re-assuring and holding my hand. If I had the procedure again (called an endoscopy) I would opt for sedation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now