Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Pancreatic cancer

(11 Posts)
plannedshock Wed 29-Jul-15 15:35:03

I hope this is ok to ask.
What were the first symptoms you noticed before being diagnosed? Either yourself or someone you know. Many thanks

DayLillie Wed 29-Jul-15 15:42:54

My MIL had it and sort of diagnosed herself, from the symptoms that were the same as FIL's. He had died of cancer a year before. I am not sure what these actually were though; people I know who have had cancer have always known when it came back. She was sent for an aortic scan and told the radiologist who confirmed she was right.

She had pain and indigestion and bowel problems in the year before which were investigated with colonoscopy, as they thought it was a return of diverticular disease.

Hellenbach Fri 31-Jul-15 21:55:46

Symptoms are IBS like which is why it is often undiagnosed for so long.
Weight loss, lethargy, pain after eating, diarrhoea.
Once the tumour has grown enough to block the bile duct then jaundice develops, so itching, tiredness and yellowing of skin.

Hellenbach Fri 31-Jul-15 21:56:35

BTW the best way to diagnose it is with an ultrasound at A and E

ggirl Fri 31-Jul-15 22:04:36

My friend had abdominal pain , only symptom.

sunshinerunner Fri 31-Jul-15 22:11:01

Hard to diagnose until the tumour is quite big. Stomach pain and back ache seem to have been over-riding symptoms for person I knew.

Are you ok OP? Are you worried about yourself or someone you know?

rainingsleepingbags Fri 31-Jul-15 22:17:48

My DM had pain around her rib cage and under her arms, she said it was like gall stone pain but constant. She also had fainting spells, weight loss and loss of appetite, IBS like symptoms as PP said. Incredible fatigue. She was stage IV when she was diagnosed after fainting and a funny turn with her heart (I don't know for sure what happened)

I hope everything's okay OP. Please ask more questions if you need to.

Bonsoir Fri 31-Jul-15 22:23:10

My mother died of pancreatic cancer in April this year. She had back pain (couldn't lie down at night), very little appetite and itchy skin.

yousuf1 Fri 31-Jul-15 23:22:36

This is one of those that is so hard to detect that it is only detected

yousuf1 Fri 31-Jul-15 23:26:20

When it's too late. I suffer with pancreas problems because I have a genetic condition and the dr basically said that they is no screening for pancreatic cancer. It has a very low survival rate, about 6% survive more than 2 years. Sorry to be so blunt it's just that with all the advances in other cancers they doesn't seem to be enough research into pancreatic cancer.

DayLillie Mon 03-Aug-15 11:11:08

There was something on the news this morning about developing a urine test to detect pancreatic cancer. It is early days but this is good news and hope for the future.

I have read that pancreatic cancer takes about 20 years to develop. It is difficult to diagnose when it finally does have some symptoms. It is difficult to detect on scans before it shows symptoms and the treatment is fairly ineffective even if it is worth trying by the time it is found.

I lost 3 relatives in quick succession, one to this, and the others to something similar in the hepato/billiary area. I have come to the conclusion it is not worth worrying about it. Enjoy today whilst you have it wink. It is the only way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now