Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

ibd and calprotectin levels

(3 Posts)
mrsbrace Sat 18-Jul-15 20:34:47

hi im really anxious currently had diarrhea for past 4 months occasional aches lower right tummy and also lower right ribs, all bloods normal but calprotectin off the scale.
have a good day energy wise then following few days tired out sad
freaking out that something serious could be wrong
been to see a consultant and will be having a colonoscopy but wont be until end of august feeling like i cant function currently both with the physical symptoms and also anxiety sad anyone have ibd and have similar symptoms prior to diagnosis?

Bibitybobity Tue 28-Jul-15 12:29:51

Hi I had all the tests under the sun (colonoscopy, MRI of colon, camera pills) inflammation detected in biopsy, raised fecal calprotectin & other autoimmune signs in blood but the gastro-doc diagnosed IBS because it looked normal to the eye & gave me bloody peppermint pills. I had diarrhoea, mucous, pain all over my insides & blood. Wasn't particularly pleasant. The colonoscopy is quite fascinating. You get sedative and painkiller and if you're lucid you'll get to see your innards. You won't feel it or care.

I ended up having symptoms of autoimmune arthritis and being treated for that instead. It was the same treatment as for IBD and the symptoms went away!

Sorry I can't be more help but I really hope you get the result you want and the necessary treatment to put you at ease.

MrsPinotGrigio Wed 29-Jul-15 21:34:43

I have Crohns & during my last flare my Calprotectin level was 1800 but my blood levels (crp) were normal. The colonoscopy will show any inflammation, as the pp said it's fascinating but a bit painful. I've recently had surgery & could see where they'd joined my bowel back together on the screen. Worst bit is the bowel prep the day before. Good luck, hope you get some answers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now