Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

very funny, darkly humorous book about cancer

(9 Posts)
lu9months Sun 22-Mar-15 19:30:33

my husband, adam blain , who is 44 and has an aggressive brain tumour, has written a book called Pear Shaped. it followed on from an article he wrote for the Times last year, which was really well received. its available to download on amazon, and i really recommend it if you have a dark sense of humour. hope you dont mind me posting this

sanfairyanne Sun 22-Mar-15 20:09:06

thanks, will take a look.

ImperialBlether Mon 23-Mar-15 10:58:03

Lu, has your husband approached any agents?

lu9months Tue 24-Mar-15 12:14:56

ImperialBlether, he had a literary agent (who contacted him after his article in the Times last summer) who was really optimistic about getting a publisher, but he didnt get any takers. i guess it depends what else they have on their books at the time. and a black comedy about your terminal brain tumour is probably seen to be a niche market! though i think the humour and sentiments would appeal widely

CanadianJohn Thu 14-May-15 04:56:25

Link: www.goodreads.com/book/show/25178048-pear-shaped

lu9months Thu 04-Jun-15 20:36:45

adam now has over 100 brilliant reviews on amazon.co.uk, please have a look, i am so proud of him

TranquilityofSolitude Thu 04-Jun-15 20:48:49

I have read his book. I thought it was great - you have every reason to be proud of him. smile

pluCaChange Thu 04-Jun-15 20:51:25

It is very good. Lots of people, attempting that conversational style, would ramble intolerably, but his writing doesn't lose its focus. smile

lu9months Fri 05-Jun-15 22:27:39

here is his 100th review :
I don't usually review books, but having read Pear Shaped on the recommendation of a friend, and then after Googling Adam reading on his Twitter feed that it was almost at 100 reviews, and then checking here and finding that it was in fact at 99 I felt compelled to add review #100 to encourage others to buy it! This book shines with black humour and a frankly incredible lack of self pity. Adam may be a lawyer by profession but his true calling is surely as a writer - this book manages to be laugh out loud funny, quirky, moving and thought provoking all at the same time. A genuinely sound and incredibly funny person struck by the most horrendous (and horrendously random) set of circumstances, it's impossible not to instantly warm to Adam and be rooting for him every step of the way, I certainly am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now