Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Macmillan - what do we need to ask?

(5 Posts)
PingPongBat Wed 14-Jan-15 07:32:03

My DM has myelodysplastic syndrome, she's 81. She's getting regular infusions of healthy blood cells but no other treatments. She's opted not to go for chemotherapy as it wouldn't prolong her life significantly & would have horrible side effects.

She has a Macmillan nurse visiting her at home today - I'm going along to listen & ask questions.

What should I be asking / looking out for? What can the nurse actually do for DM? What should she be offered?

VegasIsBest Wed 14-Jan-15 07:35:58

We found Macmillan excellent. They will guide you through things in a manageable way, given the stage your mum is currently at. They will explain more as things progress. Best wishes and hope they can support your mum and family as well as possible.

twentyten Wed 14-Jan-15 07:37:58

Hi ping pong. She can tell you about services/ support available and how to access them- via hospice daycare etc who do alternative therapies etc. she us your gateway. Pain relief etc.and moral support. Good luckthanksthanks

PingPongBat Wed 14-Jan-15 10:24:36

Thank you both.

Definitely need to know how to get access to respite care, DF needs to spend some time sorting out their house (abroad). And pain management is top of my list too .

Just been to the fracture clinic with DD, we have a meeting for DS's school trip this evening, so it's a long day today!

twentyten Wed 14-Jan-15 11:21:16

Sending you a brew and winefor later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now