Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

I think my parent is dying.

(2 Posts)
ithinkmyparentisdying Thu 20-Nov-14 13:03:13

They have cancer. It has spread. They have been having palliative chemo, that has stopped a few weeks ago. They are experiencing more and more pain all the long release morphine has been upped and the quick release stuff but they have been into A&E a few times in the last 3 weeks and had to have morphine injection to stop the pain.

Is there anyone who can tell me is this the beginning of the end?

Speedypenguin Fri 21-Nov-14 21:29:06

Hi, so sorry you are going through this difficult time. It is very hard for us to say but maybe someone like a Macmillan nurse or his/her oncologist would be able to talk to you. It is such an awful thing to be going through but there is support out there. Do you have any?
I have a friend whose husband was finding the pain difficult to cope with and she found that staff at the local hospice were the most able to sort out the drugs to relieve pain. There was someone designated for this and once he went into the hospital to assess he immediately upped the dose by a long way. Her husband was then pretty much pain free from what I understand. Maybe you could chat to someone at the hospice if there is one local to you or see if someone can refer. I appreciate that your parent may not want that; my mum didn't really want hospice involvement.

Sending you a virtual hand hold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now