Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

How hereditary is breast cancer and would you think this cause to get screened

(6 Posts)
olaflikeswarmhugs Fri 17-Oct-14 20:17:49

Just watching stand up to cancer and it's just occurred to me how many people in my family have had breast cancer .

All of my maternal granny's sisters had it (two died one recovered) she was the only one who didn't get it .

Also my dads two sisters have both had it . Both made full recoveries .

I'm just sitting here wondering if my sister and I would be eligible to be screened ? I'm sorry if that's daft I really don't know how it works .

LittlePoot Fri 17-Oct-14 20:23:59

It really depends on what age they were when they got it. 30 or 40 - definitely looks hereditary. 70 - probably just old age.

olaflikeswarmhugs Fri 17-Oct-14 20:25:27

My grans sisters were 50s-60s . My dad were in their 30s.

NecklessMumster Fri 17-Oct-14 20:26:33

Yes, possibly, ask to be referred to a family history referral unit. I had regular mammograms due to family history and have just had (negative) test for brac 2 gene after cousin had positive test

bishboschone Fri 17-Oct-14 20:27:34

All the women in my family have had breast cancer . I have been tested , I do not have the brca1/2 genes but I do have yearly mammograms .

Musicaltheatremum Thu 30-Oct-14 22:36:16

The inheritance is complicated but looking at a recent talk I went to about this you would not be considered high risk as they are not first degree relatives. You would need to check though. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now