Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Kidney disease specialists

(2 Posts)
Alaco Sat 14-Jun-14 02:49:34

My mother has chronic kidney disease and both of her kidneys have failed. She's been on dialysis for 2/3 years now and she is losing the will to live due to servere complications. Just wondering if anyone knows of any specialists which can help. Unfortunately she doesn't have medical insurance as she had cancer from a young age and many insurers wouldn't insure her because she was too high risk. She lives in London and her complications are: blackouts, servere cramp, nausea, loss of breath and back ache. There are others but can't think at the moment. Any help would be grateful. Thanks, from a very concerned daughter

Jeffrey80 Tue 17-Jun-14 21:52:35

Hi really sorry to hear of your mums illness. I was a renal dialysis nurse for nearly 3 years I have seen how awful the symptoms can be for the patients.

Has your mum been considered for a transplant? I know a history of cancer can rule it out unfortunately so this may be the case with her. Also a way around the symptoms can be to alter her dialysis for example shorter sessions more frequently or considering peritoneal dialysis which is less harsh and has less side effects.

Apologies if these avenues have been explored already I just didn't want to read and run.

Good luck to your mum I really hope she can get some symptom relief soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now