Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Home Insemination help!

(12 Posts)
chambers17 Sun 04-Jun-17 10:50:11

Hi,

Me and my partner are looking into home insemination using frozen sperm from a bank, any tips/info on how this works?

Possibly buying from overseas (European sperm bank) as more choice but unsure how it arrives, where we store extra etc?

Please help us haha!

Thanks smile

juneybean Sun 04-Jun-17 10:52:44

I used cryos in Denmark a few years ago. It arrives in liquid nitrogen which only lasts about 3 days I think so you need to get it delivered when you know you're going to ovulate. It comes in little straws which you take out 20 minutes before you need it for it to thaw then suck it up into your syringe and pop it in. I tended to use preseed to give them a chance but it didn't work for me (my ovulation is all over the place so I think it was mistimed)

Bear in mind frozen sperm only live 12-24 hrs inside you.

juneybean Sun 04-Jun-17 10:53:14

Also no bank in England will give you frozen sperm for one insemination. It's against the HFEA.

chambers17 Sun 04-Jun-17 11:05:17

Thanks for the reply!

We are torn, we looked into IUI at a local fertility clinic but the prices are so expensive so we are wondering whether we should try it at home ourselves first and if we have no luck move on to a clinic? We would really want to order extra for a second pregnancy too but we don't know where we could store it? Would they keep it til you were ready do you know? Sorry for all the q's.
Thanks

juneybean Sun 04-Jun-17 17:06:00

You can store extra straws at Cryos:

dk.cryosinternational.com/sperm-storage

chambers17 Mon 05-Jun-17 22:12:39

How many units do you buy at once? Do you have rough prices? It looks really expensive! shock

Kabuk1 Thu 22-Jun-17 09:50:00

My dw and I started off via prideangel. We ended up using cryos and I just gave birth to our little boy last month.

Pride Angel
We met someone one there and had one try. We really wanted to know the donor, so we spoke with a few men on there and then met up with one several times before trying. However, scheduling a time and place to meet so he could give us his deposit was a struggle and after 6 months of cancellations, we decided to use cryos. The advantage to pride angel is that it's cheap. We paid him only £10 for travel and a drink. He had donated for a friend in the past and had all the medical paper work to show he was clean. If they haven't had this, then usually they'd ask you to pay for it. It does become expensive and time consuming if you need to use a clinic as he would have to donate there and then have it tested and quarantined for 6 months.

Cryos
We selected a non-anonymous donor as we want our child to be able to find out his heritage there if he wants when he's older. We ordered 8 straws of MOT20. I used 2 straws for one try, using 1 straw 10hrs post LH surge and 1 10hr afters that. We got lucky as I got pregnant first try, which has resulted in our 5 1/2 week old little boy. We now have 6 straws in storage at Cryos for a sibling which my wife will try for later. Friends of ours did go the clinic route as one was already 36 and had known issues. They purchased their straws and had all delivered to the clinic for storage so they didn't have to pay shipping costs multiple times. One had twins via IVF and the other is now pregnant via IUI and due in Aug.

Some things to consider when selecting a donor:
Sperm type
ICI- unwashed is best for home insemination. However, this will limit your selection of donors as IUI- washed seems to be more readily available. Make sure your donor has enough.

CMV
Some really worry about this. If you're CMV positive, then it's not an issue at all. If you're CMV neg, then using a CMV pos donor holds a low risk of you getting infected during pregnancy which can cause problems with the baby. But CMV pos donors don't have an active infection and so the risk of transmission is very low. However, I'd suggest staying away from those who haven't been tested for CMV as it could be an active infection, which increases the risk of transmission. Whilst not all have been exposed to CMV, a huge portion of Europeans have- it's quite common.

Blood type
If your rhesus negative, you may prefer a Rh neg donor; however, these are hard to come by. Using a rhesus positive donor is fine, but you will be given anti-d injections at 28 weeks and following birth to make sure you don't become sensitised, which is when the Rh pos blood enters your blood causing your body to develop antibodies. This isn't an issue in your first pregnancy, but if this happens, it can kill the foetus in subsequent pregnancies. If you bleed at all during your pregnancy, they will monitor your blood and give you anti-d injections as a precaution. I had to have regular blood tests and top ups as I had bleeding from 10-28 weeks.

If there is a chance of you needing to use a clinic in the furture and you don't want to change donors, then you need to consider the following:
You'll need to select a non-anonymous donor.
You'll need to make sure your donor meets UK regulations.
Note- both of these things increase the price of the sperm.A

When we had ours shipped, we opted for a large nitrogen tank that lasted 12 days. The regular one lasts 7 days. The dry-ice large lasts 5 days and regular dry-ice 3 days.

As for cost, it can get really expensive. If you don't mind using a donor without an extended profile, it is then cheaper. Using an anonymous donor is even cheaper still, but again, if you may need a clinic later, you won't be able to use that at the clinic because of UK regulations.

I'm not sure what kind of tracking you've been doing, but I would suggests tracking as much as possible, including the basal body temp. It will give the best idea as to when ovulation occurs. As frozen sperm only lives for up to 24 hours, the more accurate the better. There are plenty of apps out there to help track.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Kabuk1 Thu 22-Jun-17 10:37:09

Another thing to consider with home insemination is whether or not your married or in a civil partnership. As you say partner, I'm not sure if you are or aren't. You partner will only get automatic parental rights if you are married or in a civil partnership before conception. If you aren't married or in a civil partnership, then going through a clinic provides assurances as they will give you paperwork to sign and counselling you'll have to go through. Otherwise you'll have to hire a lawyer so she can apply for parental rights.

chambers17 Sun 25-Jun-17 19:24:25

What is CMV? And how do you get tested for it?

Thanks

LRDtheFeministDragon Sun 25-Jun-17 23:22:35

It's a virus. You could get tested privately - it's not expensive.

FWIW, I am CMV negative (which is rare), and the clinic we're with advised that the risk of me catching CMV from donor sperm was much lower than the ordinary risk of catching it from basic human contact, so they didn't have any issue with the idea of me using sperm from a CMV positive donor. There's also a massive shortage of CMV negative donors.

FirsttimemumJan18 Fri 11-Aug-17 06:43:54

The field of fertility is HUGE! There is a FB Group you may want to try out called 'Lesbian ttc, pregnancy and parenting' I've found the group very welcoming, non judgemental and all members have different experiences they are willing to share and give advice

CKbaby17 Sun 05-Nov-17 08:09:55

I really wish we'd been able to read Kabuk1's info 5 years ago! All the information is quite difficult to piece together and understanding it is like a different language.

We tried HI with frozen donor sperm for 2 years, 4 times in total due to the cost. We bought from Cryos who have a very informative website and can also answer any questions you have via email. We began with one of the large liquid nitrogen containers and 2 vials but later just got the dry ice container and one vial when we were more sure of my ovulation date (using ovulation tests).

The main problem I had was, even with a regular cycle, its very difficult to pin point your ovulation date. It all feels a bit too much by chance and each month we tried we were using more money and I am getting older...

So we decided to cut our losses and go ivf through a clinic. We are in Kent and went to the London women's clinic in Canterbury. We still used the donor gametes we had chosen before and have become pregnant with our first cycle! 33w+1

It is expensive, we had to move into a friends spare room for a year to afford it, but now it has all been worth it!

If I could go back I would freeze my younger eggs first, save for ivf and then try to go through a few cycles first. But obviously this is with hindsight.

Good luck with everything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now