Talk

Advanced search

exploring the theme of same-sex parents

(3 Posts)
alxsolent Thu 06-Oct-11 13:47:21

Hi everyone,
My name is Alex, I'm currently studying Graphic Design in Southampton Solen University.
I have just registered on this forum, so I'm new here.
This year, for my Final Major Project in university, I would like to take on a theme of same-sex parenting. The reasons behind my choice are mainly personal (as I am gay and might be invovled in donoring my sperm in future).
I would also like to raise the awareness of this topic. I also believe that projects like that can visually educate and communicate the ideas of equality.

As part of the primary research for my project, I would like to find gay couples who have children and conduct some interviews.

If there is any chance of your contribution to the project and share your story(-ies), that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

kandle Fri 07-Oct-11 19:45:41

Hi,

Sounds interesting but I don't see the connection with graphic design?

alxsolent Wed 12-Oct-11 01:31:35

Hi kandle smile Thanks for your reply.

The thing is that based on my experience as a graphic design student and the advices of my tutors - the best projects always come from something, which is not directly connected to graphic design or other visual communication studies.

One of the reasons is that a lot of areas of studies, directly connected to graphic design, already have a strong visual language, whereas if my topic is nothing to do with graphic design, I can create my own visual language to communicate particular ideas/stories/problems etc.

Another reason I have chosen this particular topic, is, of course, the fact that it is personal for me.

I am not sure what will be the outcome of the project itself in the end (probably a book and something else - might be an interactive installation), because before that I need to do some primary research, that's why I'm here asking for help smile

I know it is tricky when it comes to sharing your story and I absolutely understand that, however, I also think that projects like this can help to raise the awareness of the topic and help other people as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now