Talk

Advanced search

lesbian family camping hol

(19 Posts)
bonita17 Fri 27-May-11 10:59:17

hi everyone!! my partner and i are trying to get a group of lesbians (with or without children) to start a gay campsite in porthcawl south wales......we have got the go ahead for the field, which is set in the sandunes and 5 mins walk to the secluded beach and shops. hope we can get this up and running as there is only 1 gay campsite in the whole of the uk!! hope to chat soon. bonita

frantic51 Fri 27-May-11 11:04:02

Why would you want a gay campsite particularly? (Genuine question) Also, with all the hooha in the news about people turning gay couples away from B & Bs, isn't it discrimination and therefore against the law? That is, presuming you make it exclusively gay and, if not...well... back to my first question, I suppose. confused

bonita17 Fri 27-May-11 22:00:13

hi frantic, as i have already said there is only 1 gay campsite in the whole of the uk...and i would like there to be more...where people can relax and be themselves.....and as you'v already pointed out about people turning gay couple away i thought this would be self explanery?

bonita17 Fri 27-May-11 22:05:57

for anymore info on dates and booking my email is s.sapho@yahoo.co.uk

frantic51 Mon 30-May-11 00:49:35

My point was that people should be able to relax and be themselves anywhere. People shouldn't be allowed to turn customers away for being gay because that is discrimination, and is supposedly against the law. But the law has to apply to everyone. You can't have a law which says that people are not allowed to be turned away from hotels/B & Bs/campsites because they're gay if you have campsites/hotels etc which can turn away people for not being gay. Anti-discrimination laws have to apply to everyone or they are not worth anything. confused

Maelstrom Mon 30-May-11 00:53:50

This reminds me of a student society in my former university... The black student society, who advocated for the right to equality of their members, yet, they stipulated that only black people were allowed to join. hmm

frantic51 Mon 30-May-11 01:22:19

Actually, I think when it comes to recreation, people should have a choice. If the OP prefers to stay at an exclusively gay campsite then she should have that right and the opportunity. On the other hand, if people have a small B & B in their own home and they don't want to let out rooms to gay couples then they should have that right and opportunity also. Exclusions/exclusivity should only be seen as discrimination if it gets in the way of actual life (employment, housing, adoption, etc) If people want to band together in little clubs or cliques in their free time it shouldn't be anyone's business but their's.

But it has to be the same rule for all, not some people can be excluded in certain circumstances but others must never be excluded from anything! hmm

TiggyD Mon 30-May-11 18:10:09

People with "Protected Characteristics" are allowed to have their own special things like clubs etc, but it is a move away from equality. Why not just have a 'gay friendly' sign up?

I don't think I would go if my friends couldn't.

LeninGrad Wed 01-Jun-11 21:56:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TiggyD Thu 02-Jun-11 08:56:36

And don't call it something daft like "Sandy Balls" campsite in the New Forest.

LeninGrad Thu 02-Jun-11 10:37:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

drivingmisscrazy Thu 02-Jun-11 18:42:57

I think Lenin makes valuable points; I'm quite conscious of the unusual nature of our family, especially when we are somewhere unfamiliar. And whilst I recognise the value and necessity of openness and explanation, sometimes I feel like I just want a ruddy rest from patient explication - it gets exhausting. As I say, I do it happily, but it's nice not to have to all the time

drivingmisscrazy Thu 02-Jun-11 18:55:52

...but nothing on god's earth will convince DP of the pleasures of camping, lesbian, or otherwise

piglet72 Tue 07-Jun-11 10:53:58

Goodness I think it's a really lovely idea, I would love to take my family and welcome the chance to meet other gay families.
Whilst there is equality in law, it doesn't always translate to the real world. It would be nice not to be looked at when I a pregnant lady, holds my wife's hand.
Thank you for setting it up, my next step is to email you. Xx

Badgr Thu 09-Jun-11 23:47:57

I think a LGBT family campsite would be awesome. We are adopting kids and have already been looking for campsites that are samesex family friendly.

jasper1980 Sat 11-Jun-11 07:54:15

Leningrad makes my point perfectlygrin whilst in an ideal world no one would bat an eyelid at my family and we receive no homophobia in daily life, we still sometimes get looks. And if we can have a holiday where we can meet other alike families and relax utterly then I am all for it! Start one in Scotland toowink

pixie100 Sat 25-Jun-11 12:56:43

I love this idea & will definately come along.
1st) I love camping
2) would relish the opportunity to be in an environment where I didn't have to think wether or not I could hold my dp's hand, explaining everthing etc...
3) once we have dc's I love the idea that they could spend time in a a place with more smillilar kind of families & make friends with other children in same situation etc ...

I would however also like to opportunity to bring along any 'non' gay frinds.

anyway - it's must my opinion x

good luck with it all.

ps Bonita = how is this going?

bonita17 Tue 28-Jun-11 22:49:40

To update.....
The idea of the campsite was great but in reality it has turned into a nightmare!
Everything was going well untill we discussed with the location owners it would be a gay/gay friendly meet, at which point things changed, most of all showing pink pound signs. At last discussion cost was looking at being around £15+ pppn!! which wouldnt even include the insurance they wanted us to take out. So at present things are not really going anywhere.
Thanks to anyone who has emailed.
I will update again if any changes.

TiggyD Tue 05-Jul-11 20:47:11

That's a pity.

On a related subject, I'm going to be camping near Brighton for the Pride weekend. It's a temporary site at devil's Dyke. They have portable loos and a water tap. Have you considered a few one off events throughout the year?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now