Talk

Advanced search

Pride

(3 Posts)
Iamdobby63 Tue 11-Jun-19 15:56:13

Hi my son is 14 (he came out to me at age 11), he has just asked if he could go to Pride in London with a handful of female friends from school, I have told him I will look into it. Obviously I’m worried on many levels including going to London by themselves - no doubt with him drapped in a rainbow flag. Don’t get me wrong I’m very proud of him but he’s my son so I am obviously very protective.

Italiangreyhound Sun 23-Jun-19 13:58:50

How far away is it to London for you?

My child is LGBT and I did say I would go with her if she wanted to go. But to be honest although we could get to London I'd not suggest London for my dd. She wouldn't want to go with me and would struggle with the crowds. I'd find a much smaller one for my child if she wanted to go.

Are the friends responsible?

It really depends on things like whether your son is only just 14 and not terribly responsible or 14, nearly 15, and very street wise.

The rainbow flag would be great on the march but walking or going by train there draped in the flag might attract unwanted attention.

I think the early teens are a tough age. I'd just evaluate everything in relation to your child and his abilities.

Good luck.

Iamdobby63 Sun 28-Jul-19 19:21:16

Thank you for your reply, sorry I didn’t respond sooner.

He didn’t go, unfortunately I wasn’t free to go with him and didn’t feel comfortable with him travelling to London by themselves. He didn’t talk to me for about 3 days but he soon got over it, his sister pointed out to him that she wouldn’t have been allowed to go to London by herself at that age even taking Pride out of it and that’s what I based my decision on.

He hasn’t met with any bigotry yet, his school is very inclusive and very strict on any form of bullying, so I don’t think he would be prepared for any aggression, He’s sensible but not street wise.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »