Talk

Advanced search

16 year old daughter wants to start a long distance relationship

(5 Posts)
Lollyhb11 Sun 03-Mar-19 08:58:20

I need some advice please! My 16 year old daughter has been friends with a girl online for the last 6 months (she is real, I have seen and spoken to her!) she lives 180 miles away and my daughter has asked if she can come and stay for the weekend, she’s also told me that they have feelings for each other but she doesn’t want me to tell her dad. I haven’t agreed to letting her stay yet, it’s not the fact that she’s a girl, but its the distance that bothers me. We wouldn’t be able to afford train fares all the time and I wouldn’t want my daughter to travel alone to visit her. I just don’t know what to do and feel that I need to speak to her dad but don’t want to betray her trust either 😢

PinkfluffySlippers63 Sun 03-Mar-19 21:14:33

Could they meet half way between their two homes? Perhaps meet for an afternoon - and you could go along too and go off shopping but you'd be on hand should things go pear shaped. I've done exactly this with my DC.

A whole weekend with someone you only know online could be a real challenge at any age !

Lollyhb11 Mon 04-Mar-19 11:58:37

Thank you, I’ve spoken to the girl’s mum and we’ve both agreed that it’s a bit too much too soon and thankfully the girls have accepted our explanation. We are going to met up half way in a few weeks and see how it goes. I’m hoping she gets it out of her system, it’s a bad time and she needs to concentrate on her GCSE’s.

PinkfluffySlippers63 Mon 04-Mar-19 20:53:25

So pleased the girls have accepted your explanation. I wish all teens were this understanding !! smile smile

Lollyhb11 Tue 05-Mar-19 16:04:02

They have for now at least, I’m sure we’ll have plenty of occasions where they don’t! Can’t say I’m looking forward to it 😞 Thank you for your comments, it’s much appreciated x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »