Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

benefit fraud

(62 Posts)
nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 10:32:02

i have suspicions my dh's aunt and uncle are claiming benefit they are not entitled too. they are both retired (but not 60 yet IYSWIM) and he used to work for the jobcentre, so i think he may know a few loopholes.

dh would kill me if i grassed them up

starlover Thu 18-Aug-05 10:47:38

oh i'd grass them up!
is that really bad?
things like that really, really piss me off... our taxes pay that!

madmarchhare Thu 18-Aug-05 10:51:50

Have they always been on benefits?, or have they generally worked 'hard for a living'? How much do you think they are claiming?

hercules Thu 18-Aug-05 10:56:29

I posted a thread similar to this a long time ago and had a mixed response. I decided not to report them in the end but still undecided as to the right thing to do.

emily05 Thu 18-Aug-05 10:59:31

I would not grass up a member of mine or dh's family.
Especially as you are not sure what, if at all, they are commiting benefit fraud.

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 11:00:12

no they have never been on benefits. i dont know if i mean benefits exactly, but i think he is claiming disability or something similar, and the aunt (who is over 60) (the uncle is not 60 yet) is getting a bigger than usual state pension.

what i think they are doing is not declaring all their savings, they are extremely well off, have a large house, no mortgage, no children, live very very well, as i say have thousands of savings, but are not declaring them, he is getting disability and she gets more than the average pension (plus they have hundreds of pounds every month from private pensions - maybe they are not declaring them or something)

if igrassed them they would all know it was me

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 11:02:05

the thing is, he is a complete arsehole, tells how he used to laugh at people who had no job or money when he worked in the jobcentre. i would actually say i hated him

emily05 Thu 18-Aug-05 11:03:29

I wouldnt do it. If dh did this to my aunt and uncle - especially if you are wrong - I would be sooooo pissed off.

madmarchhare Thu 18-Aug-05 11:04:09

If its some sort of disability benefit, Im not sure, but I dont think it matters how much savings you have, or it at least can be quite a lot.

If youre not really sure I dont think you should.

You can 'grass' annonomously, I think they have a special 'grassers' line!

Do you hold a separate grudge here somewhere?!

munz Thu 18-Aug-05 11:04:48

neither would I, it's up to DH really, least that's how we view the family situations, esp as they would know it was u.

madmarchhare Thu 18-Aug-05 11:05:06

X posts, Aaah, so you do hate him!

madmarchhare Thu 18-Aug-05 11:06:00

Munz, we tend to do that also, otherwise things can really drag on.

coppertop Thu 18-Aug-05 11:06:02

If the aunt is claiming Disability Living Allowance then income and savings etc are completely disregarded. It's not a means-tested benefit IYSWIM.

madmarchhare Thu 18-Aug-05 11:07:06

'means tested' thats what I meant, thank you!

madmarchhare Thu 18-Aug-05 11:08:26

You may find that because he did work in the job centre he is just more aware of what he can claim IYSWIM, rather than knowing the 'loopholes' as I dont think there really are any.

puff Thu 18-Aug-05 11:09:48

nailpolish, if everyone will know it's you who has "told", I'd leave well alone, particularly as you are unsure of exactly how their claiming may be fraudulent.

Caligula Thu 18-Aug-05 11:17:20

I wouldn't assume people are claiming fraudulently just because they're well off. Not all benefits are means-tested.

I think it sounds like a whole load of family strife waiting to happen. Would it be worth it?

expatinscotland Thu 18-Aug-05 11:42:41

As one part of a couple who lives on the poverty line and has 3 jobs between us, benefit fraud REALLY burns me up.

I won't hesistate to grass ANYONE who knowingly abuses the system.

expatinscotland Thu 18-Aug-05 11:43:17

But like others have said I'd make damn sure they were actually being deliberately fraudulent.

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 12:29:42

im just going to leave it. dh is going to speak to his dad (his dad is the aunts brother) and he thinks his dad is going to talk to her about it without the uncle being there.

dh says his dad knows a bit more than dh and i do, and he is not very happy.

hopefully they take notice of what he says

madmarchhare Thu 18-Aug-05 14:14:05

let us know what happens then [nosey emotion]!

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 14:15:44

ok

i know the aunt is coming to visit he brother (dh's dad) next week on her own (ie without her husband) and he is going to talk to her about it then.

ill let you know!

babyonboard Thu 18-Aug-05 14:31:45

I owuld..i am currently 27 weeks pregnant, have been unable to work for the last 17 weeks and have been refused all claims to the soial for support.
Even when i turned up at the office with only £2 in my purse asking for an emergency loan for food..they said no
so people who knowingly take what they are not entitled to sickens me. I t just makes it ven harder for those genuinely in need

QueenOfQuotes Thu 18-Aug-05 14:37:05

I'd tell the fraud people, they'll look into it, and if they're not being fraudulent nothing will happen, if they are then something will be done.

I'm pretty sure you can report them anonimously - so they need never know it was you.

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 14:39:05

they would, QOQ cos im a bitch (the black sheep in the family) (!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: