Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sold item on eBay as "excellent condition" - have now discovered a hole!

(12 Posts)
franch Tue 16-Aug-05 22:11:15

Sold a lovely skirt suit for £9.50 (+ £4 P&P) on eBay, describing it as "excellent condition" - which it is, but when I was folding it up for the post I discovered what looks like a tiny moth-hole in the back of the jacket (maybe 1mm across, but visible). I enclosed a note in the parcel 'fessing up and offering either a price reduction if the buyer wants to keep the suit, or a full refund if she wants to return it.

She hasn't replied yet but what do you think would be a reasonable reduction if that's what she wants? And if she wants to return it, do I just refund the cost of the suit, or the P&P too (in which case I end up out of pocket)?

I don't offer returns on eBay and don't have a refund policy. What do you think??

starlover Tue 16-Aug-05 22:12:03

hmmm do you think it would be repairable?

franch Tue 16-Aug-05 22:16:37

Not sure really starlover, I don't know much about these things .... It's right in the middle of the back, not on a seam.

fairydust Tue 16-Aug-05 22:19:04

then if she wanted a full refund i would offer full refund and cover p&p as you stated in the seller's info that it was in perfect condition wether you noticed it before or not she brought the item on the understanding it was in perfect coniditon.

If she wanted a redustion i'd do a 10 /20%

bubblerock Tue 16-Aug-05 22:22:33

Could you not have contacted her before posting to ask what she wanted to do - you could have emailed a photo and then taken it from there without incurring postal costs.

franch Tue 16-Aug-05 22:31:19

Yes I suppose I could have, bubblerock - didn't think of it.

fairydust - I was hoping there was a difference between 'excellent' and 'perfect' condition - I'm always careful not to use the word 'perfect', but of course I know that something with a hole, however small, doesn't really qualify as 'excellent'.

vickiyumyum Tue 16-Aug-05 22:34:18

I would email her and ask if she was happy with teh suit and take it from there.

piffle Tue 16-Aug-05 22:40:06

I always offer full refund... they usually take it keeps feedback and actually once.. I relisted ed an item when it was damaged (noted in item description)and got MORE for it than the first time!

starshaker Tue 16-Aug-05 22:46:40

has she left feedback

franch Wed 17-Aug-05 12:19:32

So full refund includes postage, piffle? I'm just waiting to hear from her - in my note I asked her to email me - no feedback yet, I expect she'll have got the parcel today

aloha Wed 17-Aug-05 12:22:00

Something like that happened to me - but I contacted before sending and she agreed to pay postage but got item free. She left fantastic feedback for me.

piffle Wed 17-Aug-05 20:40:29

I do always refund the postage - I've only had one or two minor problems with items I've send both times my fault, so I refunded total. It saves feedback, and as I sell a lot I find that matters...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now