Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Inland Revenue really peeing me off - won't reimburse me tax credits I have paid to nanny grrrr

(19 Posts)
CountessDracula Tue 16-Aug-05 14:13:23

Anyone else get this problem? I have paid my nanny's (fairly minimal) tax credits to her on behalf of the IR, resulting in them owing me £1500. They seem incapable of issuing a cheque. If it were the other way round they demand the money quarterly (ie if I owed them money). I think I will charge them £100 + interest on the money. Can I do this?

uwila Tue 16-Aug-05 16:51:23

Well, CD, I'd support you on this one.

But, I doubt you'll get away with it.

CountessDracula Tue 16-Aug-05 17:27:37


It does make me livid though

CountessDracula Tue 16-Aug-05 22:09:40

surely there must be a mnetter who works for the IR?

nightowl Wed 17-Aug-05 04:57:08

youd think there would be...but funnily enough, no-one ever admits to it

katymac Wed 17-Aug-05 08:15:01

I used to, I would send a recored letter (with copies of all previous letters) and say if they have not paid within 30 days you will start adding interest at a rate of bank + 1%.

If nothing else they will ring and say you can't do which point say I won't if you give me the money

Tinker Wed 17-Aug-05 10:12:00

Why have you been paying them to your nanny?

CountessDracula Wed 17-Aug-05 13:25:44

Tinker, Tax credits are paid by your employer if you are entitled to them, so as an employer I have to pay them with her salary and then they are allegedly refunded to me at the end of the tax year. As she has children of her own and is a single mum she qualifies for tax credits despite her VAST salary!!!

Tinker Wed 17-Aug-05 13:28:29

Ah, hadn't thought of that CD. Thought you had given her the money as a loan. Hmm, pass then, sorry.

uwila Wed 17-Aug-05 14:08:39

What? Really? If my nanny is eligable for tax credits, I'm supposed to pay them and wait until the end of the tax year for reimbursement? And I thought I'd heard it all!! ,picks self up off floor.... Right, just who qualifies for tax credits? Do they have to be a uk citizen? Permanent resident?

uwila Wed 17-Aug-05 14:09:26

eligable.. yeah my spelling goes to Hell when I fall off my chair.

expatinscotland Wed 17-Aug-05 14:19:58

EU/EEA area nationals, UK nationals and perm residents of the UK can claim tax credits. People here on work permits, student visas, working holidays, and ANY visa that is limited in its leave to remind - e.g., has a defined end date - cannot claim tax credits, as they are considered public funds.

uwila Wed 17-Aug-05 14:43:02

Phew.... I'm off the hook. But, CD, for future reference can you point me somewhere which states that it's the employer's responsibility to pay these tax credits? I really should be informed on this as an employer.

expatinscotland Wed 17-Aug-05 15:09:54

Try this, the FAQ section is helpful, for starters:

IR website

uwila Wed 17-Aug-05 16:52:16

hanks expat, but I still couldn't find anything that states the employer is obligated to pay the tax credits. Entirely possible I missed it. But if anyone knows where this info can be found, I'd appreciate being enlighted.

Sorry for hijacking, CD. Maybe I should go away?

CountessDracula Wed 17-Aug-05 17:30:57


How it’s paid
Your employer will normally pay any Working Tax Credit (apart from the childcare element) with your pay – though payment through employer is being phased out by April 2006 when you'll get Direct Payments.

If you’re self-employed, HM Customs & Revenue (HMRC) will pay it directly to your bank, building society, Post Office® or National Savings account.

If you're part of a couple and you both work at least 16 hours a week, you can decide who'll get the Working Tax Credit payments.

HMRC pays the childcare element of Working Tax Credit directly to the main carer for all the children in the family, along with Child Tax Credit. Even if you're employed, you will get this element directly and not from your employer with your pay.

from this site

uwila Wed 17-Aug-05 20:32:32

Ah... I get it now. Thanks, CD.

Lucky for me, my current nanny is here on a working holiday visa. And, she will (hopefully) stay until Aug 2006 so I'm off the hook.

uwila Thu 18-Aug-05 09:32:35

I was just thinking about this. Don't you use nannypaye for your taxes/payroll. It might be worth seeing if they can assist. I certainly would have a thing or two to say to the IR if they did this to me. (as you would expect me to)

CountessDracula Thu 18-Aug-05 15:39:40

yes Uwila they are chasing on my behalf too

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: