Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

in so much s**t don't know what to do

(54 Posts)
damndamndamn Fri 05-Aug-05 20:33:32

I am a regular poster but have changed my name for this.

I am three months behind on my rent, have no chance of getting credit for a quick loan (on benefits) and nobody i can ask. I owe so much money I am s**tting myself. How the hell can i get £2000 next week?

I am absolutely off my head with worry.

the only thing i can think of is my violin which is worth £650. How do those loans from Cash converters type pawnshops work? will they lend you more than the value of the item?

hercules Fri 05-Aug-05 20:34:39

You need to get advice now from CAB. There must be a way of coming to an arrangement with your landlord rather than putting yourself into further debt which is not a good idea.

charliecat Fri 05-Aug-05 20:35:46

If you are on benefits why are you not getting your rent paid?

damndamndamn Fri 05-Aug-05 20:35:47

she thinks i have paid it. The problem is that my landlord is a family friend so i would much rather get a loan to pay it.

Hattie05 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:36:50

Do you rent from a housing association? if, so you should have a housing officer who are there to help in such situations.

hercules Fri 05-Aug-05 20:37:08

I know that when it is family or friends it is horrible not being able to pay them but your own financial future has to come first. Please speak to CAB about the best decision for you.

damndamndamn Fri 05-Aug-05 20:37:29

i am but they have only just sorted it out. I have had two payments but they have dispappeared into the ether of my unauthorised banmk account (which is now no longer overdrawn, but the knock on effect hasd been that i have no longer been able to pay my rent.

Hattie05 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:37:52

Sorry posts crossed, thats out of the question then!

CAB will be the best to go to then as hercules said.

yingers74 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:38:25

I know this is not what you want, but I think honesty may be your best bed. Am pretty sure pawnshops will not give you more, in fact they will probably give you much less.

damndamndamn Fri 05-Aug-05 20:38:35

sorry meant unauthorised overdraft

yingers74 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:38:41

bet not bed!

damndamndamn Fri 05-Aug-05 20:38:58

i wasn;'t thinking of selling but using it as security.

charliecat Fri 05-Aug-05 20:39:11

you need to get sort it out so your rent money goes right into the landlady account...dont know aboutt he 2 grand...that hefty

emily05 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:39:16

I agree with hercules - as it is such a lot of mney you need to get debt advice asap.
here is the CAB advice website
my local council do debt advice - so check out your council website.
Dont panic, you just need to get advice and sit down and sort something out with a trained expert to help sort it all out.
I hope that you are ok - I know how crap it is to be in debt.

anchovies Fri 05-Aug-05 20:39:46

Don't think they'll give you more, just give you the option to buy it back later I think.

Try not to worry, it can be sorted I am sure. Have you tried the citizens advice bureau? Have you spoken to your landlord about it, maybe you could come up with a way of paying iwhat you owe over the next few months? Any other debts can also be put on hold too, you need to phone them and explain the situation though, they only get serious when you don't keep them informed.

I am sure there is a way to sort it anyway.

emily05 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:39:50

blimey! there was one response when I started typing and now look! I must be a slow typer!

anchovies Fri 05-Aug-05 20:41:12

I'm slow too, there was none when i started typing!

Nemo1977 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:41:49

firs thing to do hun is phone the rent people and tell them your situation u may be able to sort out lower repayments. then go to cab/welfare rights and make sure you are getting everything u are entitled to and ask them to sort out repayment plan with you

damndamndamn Fri 05-Aug-05 20:43:32

haven't spoken to the landlord,have been a bit silly really and told her it was paid. Now if i tell her, the problem is i have lied.

am just going to look at tha CAB link, thanks,

Hattie05 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:43:39

This is really not the best advice at all.

But i do know due to clients of mine (i'm not a solicitor)that most credit card companies do not bother to check your details. E.g if you bullshitted on an application form about your incom etc you'd probably be able to get a 0% credit card and transfer what you need to your bank account.

I am only telling you this as i know how scary it can be, but you must be careful, ensuring you cut the card up so as no to spend anymore, and ensure you'll be able to keep up the repayments on that thereafter.

The best thing to do would be to confess all to your landlady and agree on a payment plan you can afford.

I wish you luck.

damndamndamn Fri 05-Aug-05 20:44:22

also the landlady is i think relying on my money for her morgate payments so i feel really bad.

damndamndamn Fri 05-Aug-05 20:45:26

what about credit record though hattie? i don't have a blameless credit score

Hattie05 Fri 05-Aug-05 20:50:03

oh yes credit rating is checked!

It was a bad idea anyway!

Oh i feel for you so bad. Can you have a bootfair? pawn your violin.

errrm what else can you do.

Wallace Fri 05-Aug-05 20:55:08

Your local council will have a money advice section. We did this recently and they are so good and sort everything out for you

damndamndamn Fri 05-Aug-05 20:56:22

i would even consider a loan shark but i wouldn't even know where to start.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: