Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

legal separation v divorce- advice, practical and emotional, please

(5 Posts)
gardengirl Tue 02-Aug-05 18:19:20

Can anyone tell me if a legal separation agreement has the same weight as a divorce?
DD's father and me are separated. I know that if we divorce, we will sort out finances, who she lives with etc as part of that process. But I have also heard about something called a legal separation agreement. Does that involve the same things? Is it as legally binding as a divorce? What happens if you sign a LSA but do not divorce for some time - do you have to renegotiate everything?
He left after affair 6 months ago so I have grounds for divorce. however there are good reasons (mainly financial) for holding off divorce for another 6 months. But the limbo land is very hard - we are neither separate or together and I wonder if some sort of agreement would help me come to terms with it all. Hope someone out there has some knowledge/advice to pass on. The practical tone of this post hides all the misery underneath

ggglimpopo Tue 02-Aug-05 18:50:23

Message withdrawn

Loobie Tue 02-Aug-05 18:53:15

Oh hunny doesnt sound good ,dont have any advice for you im afraid but you could try posting this on the lone parents board and see if you get any more joy there,you never know someone may have ben through the same thing.

starrynight Tue 02-Aug-05 18:55:05

Gardengirl - my thoughts are with you..what a difficult time. I am not an expert but my first thought is that it can't carry the same weight as a divorce. HTH?

mandyc66 Tue 02-Aug-05 19:01:41

A legal seperation is legal and almost the same as a divorce the only difference is that your marriage is not disolved..everything else is the same.
So if your religion doesnt allow divorce this is the one to go for. You can divorce at a later date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now