Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mamas and Papas Con?

(10 Posts)
Spoo Sat 30-Jul-05 19:27:02

I feel like I have been conned. I was given a M&P present that I didn't like and took it back. they told me I had 6 months to use the voucher. I went to M&P two days after the 6 months was up and told that it is worth nothing now. Can they do that? It was worth twenty quid so I am a bit gutted really. It feels like robbery.

Spoo Sat 30-Jul-05 19:27:37

I know I have been silly not shopping sooner but there was nothing I liked!

WigWamBam Sat 30-Jul-05 19:31:09

If the terms of the voucher were that it had an expiry date then they are within their rights to refuse to honour it, unfair as it seems.

Perhaps you could try ringing their customer services department, see if they would be prepared to issue you with another voucher.

kid Sat 30-Jul-05 19:33:08

I agree, if it had an expiry date on the voucher then is probably nothing you can do. Is there any reason why you didn't use it within the 6 months? If there is, phone customer services and explain it to them and see if they will offer you anything.

Spoo Sat 30-Jul-05 19:38:35

The only reason I didn't use it was because there was nothing I liked. I know I should have used it earlier I just didn't check the date. I will contact Customer services and see what they say. It's just they got 20 quid for nothing and I am a poor new mum on no money!

lydz Sat 30-Jul-05 19:38:53

AFAIK that's perfectly legal - they issued the voucher, they can set the terms and conditions - but it's meanspirited of them and therefore bad PR...did you speak to the manager? They would probably be able to issue another voucher or let you use the original one if they wanted - if not you could always go to the local paper (photo of you and baby looking mournful outside their shop teehee ). It's not like it was a freebie voucher - M&P have made money out of the situation.

fairydust Sat 30-Jul-05 19:41:05

sorry but m&p have the right to put an expiry date on it - you've had six months to use - it's not there fault you couldn't find anything you liked.

WigWamBam Sat 30-Jul-05 20:11:10

I really think it would be worth talking (nicely!) to their customer services people, who might be prepared to issue you with a new voucher as a goodwill gesture. For the sake of two days it's probably not worth their while sticking to their guns, particularly if they think they might get bad publicity from it.

Annner Tue 09-Aug-05 11:05:31

Although they are within their rights to set a timelimit, I completely agree with everyone else who says that this is meanspirited - and totally in line with their behaviour with returned goods.

We were given M and P items to the value of about sixty quid, but couldn't use them as they were for a cot bed, and we have a cot. We returned them to the main store in Southampton, but they refused us even a credit note because the design was from the previous year and so there was no means of putting the items through the till. Yep, she pretty well said "computer says no!".

We pointed out that they had clearly been on sale recently, and that we didn't mind being reimbursed a sale price instead of the full value, but no joy.

Wouldn't ever go there to buy anything. Overpriced, and shocking customer service. IMHO. Our local independent baby shop won't stock their prams because of their poor after sales service. But that is a another story...

Flossam Tue 09-Aug-05 11:07:52

Yep, I have heard of numerous tales of poor M and P service. Seems mad to me, they promote themselves as a quality outlet blah blah blah, but they just don't give a stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now