Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Travellers cheques - do you know how they work?

(8 Posts)
shortcake Sat 30-Jul-05 15:52:50

My Dad recently died, leaving $200 in travellers cheques. But they are completely unsigned. I am the executor of his estate - can I just cash them in by signing them twice or is there another proceedure?

eldorado Sat 30-Jul-05 15:53:39

you need to take them to the solicitor dealing with the will and include them as part of his estate.

eldorado Sat 30-Jul-05 16:00:12

have jsut reread this. Do hte cheques have no signature at all on them.

shortcake Sat 30-Jul-05 16:46:34

no - no signature at all - and we are dealing with the estate ourselves - no solicitor.

eldorado Sat 30-Jul-05 16:48:08

wonder how he got them without signing them at all. I say this because I work in bank and when we issue cheques they have to be signed in front of cashier selling them then countersigned when encashing them.

shortcake Sat 30-Jul-05 16:56:00

no idea - they came from Amex, I think!

Linnet Sat 30-Jul-05 22:18:39

Eldorado, not all banks have the customer sign the cheques when they receive them. I have some that i got the other day and I didn't have to sign them at the bank, they just said I could sign them when I got home.

eldorado Sun 31-Jul-05 09:32:37

different practice I expect.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: