Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax question...doesn';t get more exciting than this!!!!

(10 Posts)
spudmasher Sun 25-Apr-10 18:35:58

Well pretty much anything is more exciting, but I need help.
Gosh I am rubbish with money.
Started in a new job this time last year and I was on emergency tax for a good 4 months.
How do I go about getting that money back?

mmrsceptic Sun 25-Apr-10 18:37:50

it should be quite quick as we are at the end of a tax year

contact your tax office to make sure they have records of your previous tax code and your current correct tax code

it should come back to you automatically and the tax office will be able to reassure you about that

spudmasher Sun 25-Apr-10 18:48:11

Thank you very much.
Now I am going to show how thick I am and how much my DH looks after me and ask how I find out the number of my tax office.
* embarassed *

lou031205 Sun 25-Apr-10 19:00:53

You should have had it back throughout the year in your pay packet if you are on PAYE, so don't get too excited!!

Kevlarhead Sun 25-Apr-10 23:28:55

Tax office number should be on your payslip.

Don't assume that you'll get the money back; I had a temp job with the revenue issuing repayments after I left uni. Getting money back to overpayers is not a high priority, so can take a 2-3 years. Much better to prompt them by letter...

FairyCakeBump Mon 26-Apr-10 16:15:59

You can find out your tax office here -

Don't worry too much about calling the right office, the system has changed now so any tax office number you call will be able to access your records as they're all linked up now.

What was your final tax code for last year? Did it have an x or a wk1/mth1 after it? If so, you may not have received the money back. It's always best to ring up to check.

spudmasher Wed 28-Apr-10 07:07:28

Thank you everyone.
*pretends to know what to do now *
No, seriously, I will try to find the time to be put on hold for an hour. It will have to be half term now. Ama teacher.

NoahAndTheWhale Wed 28-Apr-10 07:15:23

You can call tax offices at weekends I found out recently (might even be open on Sundays as well). Although half term isn't too far away you might as well do it sooner rather than later smile.

spudmasher Wed 28-Apr-10 20:19:05

Oh that's great Noah. Thank you.

FairyCakeBump Sat 01-May-10 01:34:35

Tax offices aren't open on Sundays, just Saturday's 9-4, but 8-8 during the week. You shouldn't be on hold that long as they're virtual, so you will get the first available adviser in the country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now