Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tenancy notice question ?

(6 Posts)
sostupid Tue 26-Jul-05 18:08:29

We have been given 2 months notice to leave the property that we are in as the owners want to put it up for sale.

I need to know if I still have to give them 4 weeks notice of my leave date ? if I dont will I be liable to pay them rent in lieu of notice ?

Surely if they want us to leave they wouldn't expect us to give them notice after they have already given us notice iykwim !

I have given them 2.5 wks notice of my leave date is this enough or would I still have to pay for 4 more weeks ? ?

SenoraPostrophe Tue 26-Jul-05 18:18:20

usually it is 2 months notice on either side, so you would have to pay the 4 weeks.

However it depends on your contract - what does that say?

sostupid Tue 26-Jul-05 18:23:15

4 wks for us and 8 wks for them. It doesn't say anything about giving them notice once notice has already been served on us

kid Tue 26-Jul-05 18:23:53

If you were told you would have to give 4 weeks notice then I would assume that would still stand. If you are leaving before the 2 months notice from them is up, they may accept the 2.5 weeks notice.

sostupid Tue 26-Jul-05 18:35:27

yes we are leaving the property earlier than the date they have given us, Surely if they want their house back to sell it they would be happy to accept the short notice

PeachyClair Tue 26-Jul-05 18:46:35

I would telephone, we were allowed out of our tenancy early on humanitarian grounds, and if they're selling it's good for them to get you out early- sitting tenants (whether or not planning to move) might be offputting for some buyers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now