Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I stop payment of a cheque??

(29 Posts)
tiredemma Tue 26-Jul-05 14:45:19

basically booked two hotel rooms last week and sent a cheque as a deposit, have since found out that dp's father has to back overseas urgently and therefore we wont be staying in the hotel.
Have just spoke to bb owner and was told that she will cash cheque anyway!! the money isnt even in the account, and isnt likely to be as the cheque was sent with a letter stating that we would be paying cash on check out. Can i stop the cheque (which is for a £100)?

Easy Tue 26-Jul-05 14:50:36

Yes, ring your bank NOW and tell them you want to stop payment, they'll ask you to write confirming the instruction (or go into your back and sign the form).

It'll probably cost you £15 tho'

CountessDracula Tue 26-Jul-05 14:51:47

Surely that was a deposit in case you cancelled? If so it is fair to cancel if you agreed to these terms?

WigWamBam Tue 26-Jul-05 14:52:17

If it was for a deposit on a booking though, I'm not sure that you're legally entitled to stop the cheque - that's why places ask for deposits, so that they're covered if you cancel.

dermotolearyswifetobe Tue 26-Jul-05 14:53:58

ask for it to be returned with the answer "payment countermandated" why shouldn't you have it stopped if you can't go you can't go and you are giving plenty of notice. Don't tell me that the b&B owner wouldn't sell the room again if she could.

WigWamBam Tue 26-Jul-05 14:56:32

She probably can sell the room on, but legally I'm pretty sure she's entitled to keep the deposit if someone changes their mind about a booking.

Easy Tue 26-Jul-05 14:59:59

If you have given her plenty of notice of the cancellation, then you are entitled to your deposit back. ONLY if it was made clear that the deposit was non-returnable should she present the cheque. Was she rude about it?

If you stop the cheque and she presents it anyway her bank will charge her £15 too.

tiredemma Tue 26-Jul-05 15:07:30

easy, yes a bit, she never mentioned in our initial conversation that the cheque would be non-returnable. When i spoke to her just she said " oh for the 30th? well if you want to cancel then your cheque will be non-returnable as its so close to the date- can you ring me later as im out at the moment."

tiffini Tue 26-Jul-05 15:13:07

How much notice does a B&B need FGS, I used to work in a large Hotel and only 24hrs notice was needed for a cancelation, with no fees.

northerner Tue 26-Jul-05 15:18:17

Yes - I'd just go ahead and stop the cheque with your bank.

Did the B&B send you any terms and conditions at all?

SaintGeorge Tue 26-Jul-05 15:18:50

A big hotel can afford to take losses tiffini - a B & B probably can't.

northerner Tue 26-Jul-05 15:19:42

BTW you can only stop a cheque if you haven't put your guarantee card number on teh back.

tiredemma Tue 26-Jul-05 15:25:33

northerner, no T&C's were sent out she just took my name and address.

Easy Tue 26-Jul-05 15:26:53

But for the 30th .... You have given her nearly a weeks notice !!!

She is running a business, has to take the rough with the smooth. If you had cancelled less than 24 hours before, then yes, forgo yourr deposit, but I think this is plenty of notice.

Easy Tue 26-Jul-05 15:27:35

Honestly, just stop the cheque.

I would.

Cam Tue 26-Jul-05 15:31:53

Standard terms and conditions will usually apply and it is usual to send a non-refundable deposit at the time of requesting the booking.

Cam Tue 26-Jul-05 15:32:31

A week's notice is nothing.

Easy Tue 26-Jul-05 15:33:51

What 'standard' terms and conditions? I wouldn't consider it usual to send a non-refundable deposit of £100.

Easy Tue 26-Jul-05 15:34:53

Cam, are you the landlady concerned?

WigWamBam Tue 26-Jul-05 15:35:45

I would, Easy, particularly as this is a B&B, not a big chain of hotels. That's what deposits are for - to ensure that you honour your booking.

Tiredemma, can you contact someone like the Citizen's Advice Bureau for advice on this?

Cam Tue 26-Jul-05 15:41:02

No Easy I'm not but I do own a holiday let.

CountessDracula Tue 26-Jul-05 16:54:24

I agree if you cancel and you have paid a deposit you should expect to lose it. I have a number of times.

Loobie Tue 26-Jul-05 20:07:56

Im sorry but atthe end of the day its £100 which you will be down and as you say at this time of the year theres a very strong chance that she will re-let the room.I cancelled a cheque once very easily,phone the bank give them the cheque number,who it was written out to and for how much i paid £7.50 and they stopped the cheque.Worth the £7.50 considering the cheque for for over £70.

CountessDracula Tue 26-Jul-05 20:16:08

Or £100 which she will be down

CountessDracula Tue 26-Jul-05 20:20:02

What if she has already turned down bookings for the time that you were booked?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now