Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Big Argument with BT...do they think I'm Daft?

(22 Posts)
katymac Sat 23-Jul-05 22:18:00

I rang to ask how much I pay to call a mobile (to see if my new tesco mobile is cheaper)

BTman "13p a minute - but you can go on BTmobile and you will save 25%"
Me "that's sounds good - how much does it cost?"
BTman "£1.50 a month and you save 25%"
Me "How much did I spend on mobile calls in the last quarter?"
BTman "I don't know"
Me"Never mind I'l check on-line"
BTman"can you do that?"
Me "yes - Never mind I only spent £10 last quarter"
BTman"So shall I put you down for it then?"
Me"No - I'd need to spend £19 a quarter to make it worth while.....

Then came long conversation about basic maths - I gave up after nearly 10 minutes of explaining that BT bills are for 3 months and 3x£1.50 was £4.50 and that £4.50 was 25% of £19 - so I'd need to spend £19 on mobile calls to save money

Did I get a thick one - or am I a maths genius (if I'm a genius btw it's the first time anyone has noticed)

PeachyClair Sat 23-Jul-05 22:29:02

Well, BT have fined us because when we moved they put our old and new accounts together on DD (direct debit), but forgot to set up the DD. we called twice, they still forgot. DD didnt get taken (unsurprisingly) so they issued a notice of soemthing or other offcial. We called back. yes they had records of our calls. But no, we cant do that properly for you as letter has been issued. yes in error, but you still ahve to pay.

And then there was the case where our phone went down along with neighbours, including 98 year old ousebound lady. BT Engineer had just been round. DH calls to sort out, well they said you must have done it yourself. Dh says hang on, what? They said well you don't know anything about wiring how do you know you didnt? DH said because A) I haven't touched the wiring, B) I havent been near wiring, C) I run a business- wiring and designing things.

Operator says I dont believe you. Old Lady getting more and more edgy, we get in Councillor. Councillor says he has never been spoken to so rudely in entire life! Eventually we get BT Enginner to come round, previous Engineer has done half a job and knocked off.

So, whilst i don't want to offend anyone on here and pesonally know of at least one FAB BT Engineer, there are some pretty grotty employees there too!

katymac Sat 23-Jul-05 22:37:14

They make me so mad

giraffeski Sat 23-Jul-05 22:38:58

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Sat 23-Jul-05 22:39:37

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Sat 23-Jul-05 22:39:57

Message withdrawn

katymac Sat 23-Jul-05 22:40:27

I mean it's hardly complicated math is it?

Janh Sat 23-Jul-05 22:40:44

katymac, if you sign up to 1899.com calls to mobiles are 3p a min at the weekend and 10p a min the rest of the time.

Janh Sat 23-Jul-05 22:41:58

BT charges to various mobiles

PeachyClair Sat 23-Jul-05 22:42:36

They talk to you like they're doing you a favour, not offering you a service you could choose to buy elsewhere. We will be going elsewhere shorty.

katymac Sat 23-Jul-05 22:43:38

I've got to stay with them for broadband for 12 months but I'm thinking about changing.....I'm looking at Tesco - like my lovley new (PINK)mobile

Janh Sat 23-Jul-05 22:45:55

noooooo, km - get 1899 (or 18866 for UK calls - 2p connection charge, calls free!)

PeachyClair Sat 23-Jul-05 22:46:23

I've got my eyes on that Tesco mobile too, the oink one! As soon as my student grant comes through! Great taste you got there

PeachyClair Sat 23-Jul-05 22:46:46

Janh, have you got shares or something?

sparklymieow Sat 23-Jul-05 22:47:28

oooooooo what pink one is it?? Is it the flip one?? How much was it??

Janh Sat 23-Jul-05 22:53:00

Nah, I wish!

They are just incredibly unbelievably cheap and wonderful and everybody should use them to stop BT charging so much

katymac Sat 23-Jul-05 22:54:26

It's a Sagemn myC-3b (DH says it's red - but what do men know?)
and it does flip

PeachyClair Sat 23-Jul-05 23:12:18

Show off <<Peachy skulks off to ring DH at work and demand to know why she doesn't have a pink mobile phone too, like all the other girls>>

SofiaAmes Sun 24-Jul-05 00:45:19

If you have trouble with BT (or NTL), just make a complaint to OFCOM (? or whatever the governing body is called). I have had several problems over the years, including direct debiting not happening when I'd requested it and then me getting charged for it. OFCOM contacted bt, who then contacted me and sorted it out asap.

katymac Sun 24-Jul-05 10:21:50

Peachyclair - My prev phone was over 5 yrs old (DH has that one now) so I kinda deserved a new one....doncha think?

PeachyClair Sun 24-Jul-05 10:42:18

I was only teasing! Ine is four years old, and the mike doesn't work all the time! Dh and I share it on a timeshare basis as he works nights.

katymac Sun 24-Jul-05 12:25:20

That's what we were doing sharing - but we kept arguing about where it was - so he made me get a new one (as he doesn't want tolearn how to use a new one)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now