Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Inheriting Mum and Dad's House

(5 Posts)
006 Thu 21-Jul-05 10:45:19

Having been baffled by the Land Registry site, I resort once more to Mneters! Its probably a pretty common situation and you chaps have always helped before!

My two sisters and I have jointly inherited our parents house. My Mum died most recently and left a simple will dividing everything three ways and I as executor have obtained a grant of probate.

We think it would be better to sell the house as renting the family home would be emotionally pretty tough. I know where the deeds are held and there was not mortgage on the house.

Now I show my dimness...Do you have to get the Deeds changed? If so, would they go in all 3 names? Can a house sale form part of managing the estate? And finally has anyone ever used an estate agent they were pleased with - everyone I have asked has said what a pain theirs was!

Prufrock Thu 21-Jul-05 17:53:15

No you don't need to get the deeds hnaged When you sell the house you will give the deeds to solicitor, and will need to provide grant of probate proving that you are executor of the estate in the name that is on the deeds. Solicitor will then switch them straight into name of new purchaser.

fqueenzebra Fri 22-Jul-05 22:11:57

re estate agent recommendation: where are you located, 006?

006 Mon 25-Jul-05 10:53:49

We are in Kent, Medway more specifically.

Thanks for advice. It is one of those things that we don't do often enough to know!

oooggs Mon 25-Jul-05 10:58:22

I work at the Land Registry so if I can help just let me know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now