Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Arrgghhh!!! Idiot DH speeding court case!

(15 Posts)
tomasinatank Wed 20-Jul-05 11:08:53

Idiot of a Dh got caught doing 70mph on a 50 mph duel carraigeway back in Nov by speed camera. For some reason that really is beyond me and beyond the reasons of logic he deciced to let it go to court rather then just except his idiocy and pay a fine etc He has no grounds for anything. He did it. He got caught. He should pay the consequences.

So anyway does anyone have any idea just how much we are now going to be paying in court fees when his case is heard? I am worrying terribly and quite simply could leave him over his utter arrogence and pig headedness over this matter. Aarrgghhh!!!!

geekgrrl Wed 20-Jul-05 11:15:45

dh had the same thing, total cost was £600 I think BUT that included fine, solicitor & barrister.

He ended up banned for 3 months for going 76 in a 50 on a dual carriageway (we were going to miss our ferry even though we'd set off in very good time, as the A1 was closed from near Leeds all the way down to near Harwich - it all got very fraught at the end and that's when it happened ). It makes my blood boil reading about all these celebs who go over 100 and just get fined and points.

geekgrrl Wed 20-Jul-05 11:17:44

woops, got the figure wrong there sorry - the fine was £600 but did not include the legal representation, which was nearer £800, IIRC (this was 4 years ago). The fine is based on your weekly income though and dh's was very high at the time.

tomasinatank Wed 20-Jul-05 11:27:12

Thanks geekgrrl. Do you know if fines are always based on income and will they be liable to increase the fine simpky because its gone to court ratyer than him just paying what i presume would have been a set fine?

geekgrrl Wed 20-Jul-05 11:54:07

I don't know whether it'll stay a fixed penalty. If it doesn't and the court sets the fine, then I'm pretty certain it will always be based on income.

Ask Cod though, I think she's a magistrate and they're the ones who deal with speeding offences.

Good luck - what a PITA.

expatinscotland Wed 20-Jul-05 11:57:15

Keep in mind that sometimes, if you're banned, you have to reapply for your license and resit all the tests. That alone costs about £100 - £38 for the license, £20 for the theory test, and about £40 for the road test.

munz Wed 20-Jul-05 12:02:19

my DH had the same thing, except he already had two tickets, they gave him 3 points £60 fine and £30 court fees.

we now have to pay for his licence back, which was revoked as he got 3 tickets b4 the 2 year probabtion thing, looking at about £350 ish all in to get it back if not more.

geekgrrl Wed 20-Jul-05 12:03:02

I don't think tomasinatank's dh is likely to get a ban for going 20mph over the limit though. Have a look at this page for an idea of likely outcomes

tomasinatank Wed 20-Jul-05 12:45:05

Thanks. That's all really helpful - especially the link Geekgrrl.

He's representing himself - apparently <<<rolls eyes>>> I really do just want to slap him around the face with a wet haddock - the idiot

Ladymuck Sun 24-Jul-05 22:53:14

If he doesn't take a fixed penalty he will get a more formal conviction won't he? I got caught on a similar charge - 70 in a 60 zone. The penatly wasn't huge (either £50 or £100) but the increase in my insurance premiums was very significant. Again if it has gone to court the insurance company may need more details?

cod Thu 11-Aug-05 19:43:10

Message withdrawn

cod Thu 11-Aug-05 19:44:08

Message withdrawn

cod Thu 11-Aug-05 19:44:57

Message withdrawn

paolosgirl Thu 11-Aug-05 20:03:18

Cod - why DO so many celebs etc get let off?

cod Thu 11-Aug-05 20:26:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now