Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I have a tax credits question

(15 Posts)
Linnet Mon 15-Mar-10 14:50:15

if you receive Child tax credit and Working tax credit do you qualify for the NHS exemption card?

anyone know?

onadietcokebreak Mon 15-Mar-10 14:58:20

If you income level is below the threshold of approx £16000 then yes you should be.

expatinscotland Mon 15-Mar-10 14:59:38

You should have automatically have been sent an exemption card, too.

But they have cocked up and not sent ours, either.

We had to chase them up.

onadietcokebreak Mon 15-Mar-10 14:59:50

Help with health costs
If you are getting tax credits because you are on a low income, you could get help with certain health costs that include free NHS prescriptions, NHS dental treatment, NHS wigs and fabric supports, eyesight tests, optical vouchers (towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses), and help with the cost of travel to receive NHS treatment under the care of a consultant, or through referral by a doctor or dentist.

If you qualify, you will automatically get an NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate sent to you in the post. Information about Tax Credit Exemption Certificates is available by calling 0845 609 9299.

purpleturtle Mon 15-Mar-10 15:00:23

I think the threshold may even be a bit higher than that - but I don't know what it is. Sorry.

onadietcokebreak Mon 15-Mar-10 15:01:14

•have a household income of £16,040 a year or less

Think thats the correct one. Above was from tax credits site. Give them a quick ring.

GoingPostal Wed 17-Mar-10 18:24:03

can I ask another CTC question please? do you still qualify for CTC if you have savings? when they ask all the questions, they don't mention savings, just income (so obviously would declare any interest on savings).

I have a sum which was paid out from a life insurance policy which is really rainy day savings / to help with ds's uni fund etc. CTC helps with day to day living but obviously I don't want to claim wrongly - but can't find any ref on hmrc or direct gov websites to how savings are treated.

many thanks to any experts.

onadietcokebreak Wed 17-Mar-10 18:51:34

Hi ya..have had a quick look and I dont think savings matter for tax credits . However I find this hard to beleive. It doesnt state they dont matter!

I am a little overcommitted at the mo as I have deadlines coming out of my ears.....prob best to call them and clarify. Sorry

GoingPostal Wed 17-Mar-10 21:29:46

thanks for that. I've had more of a search outside of the govt websites and the consensus seems to be that savings don't count - I will call to check though. the actual hmrc & direct gov websites really really don't appear to mention this though!!

mejon Wed 17-Mar-10 22:31:34

The capital from savings isn't counted - only the interest. You include this in 'other income'.

YouMightKnowMe Wed 17-Mar-10 22:42:55

And the interest only counts if it is over £270 per year (I think).

Out of interest - does the receipt of a (taxable) lump sum affect tax credits in the year in which it is received?

JoeyBettany Sun 21-Mar-10 19:01:10

The threshold this year is a gross income of £15,275, which is very sad for us as this year, we've exceeded it.

kirstyparkin86 Fri 25-Jul-14 11:10:12

I know this was posted a while ago. As a benefit officer, if you are non pensionable age and have capital around £6000 then its just the annual interest accumulated that is taken into consideration if you have £16,000 capital then you do not qualify for benefits. Hope this information is useful.

grayalien Sun 16-Aug-15 22:55:26

Hi, my 1st time on here!
Quick query...I* have been getting my T Credits for 5 years and all that time at my friends address/my lodgings. He is the tenant and allows me use of his spare room. We are very old friends and since my divorce he has been my rock. We do everything together. Apart from sleep. You see, my pal is gay and in a happy relationship. Only last month the Tax Credits people demanded proof that we were not a couple. Recently we opened a joint bank acc due to my personal credit score as I needed a debit card. This they say alerted them and after providing the elements requested i.e. bank statements etc, my awards were then suspended.
Can anyone identify or help me as I do not know how to prove we are not a couple? I feel like I am being treated like a criminal, and so does my friend, when all he has ever done is help me out. Is sharing an email address with an old friend such a crime?

scarlets Thu 20-Aug-15 21:33:50

Grayalien - can he prove his relationship? Does he have anything in joint names with his boyfriend? Or a Facebook history of couple-y stuff?

It may be worth asking his OH to write to the tax office on your behalf, declaring that he is your flatmate's partner.

Talk to CAB also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now