Advanced search

boring tax credits

(8 Posts)
nailpolish Tue 19-Jul-05 14:32:43

what the bloody hell is the difference between working tax credit and child tax credit? someone please tell me before i explode. its driving me mad.

because im not working now i dont know if im entitled to these tax credits. im afraid to phone them incase they say i owe them money as i didnt tell them when i stopped working in april

jessicaandbumpsmummy Tue 19-Jul-05 14:34:13

u need to tell them you no longer work..... it will up your tax credits.

WTC is for both parents working and on low income i believe.

CTC is regardless of income but amounts vary.

expatinscotland Tue 19-Jul-05 14:37:58

Your application is considered in joint b/c you are married. That is, your spouse or partner's income will be taken into consideration in determining your entire tax credit award.

If your joint income is greater than £14,000, you may not be eligible for working tax credit. You may still get some child tax credit, but it is lower for stay at home parents than for those who work and put their children into care w/a registered minder.

Personally, they have so cocked up our entitlement that we don't bother applying for them anymore. Not worth the hassle.

nailpolish Tue 19-Jul-05 14:40:19

our joint income is 38K so therefore we must be getting ctc.

(i already get tax credits, but im not sure which one it is!) must be ctc


just about to call them

nailpolish Tue 19-Jul-05 14:41:15

well, i mean, our joint income for april 04 til april 05 was 38K, but i left my job in april. so does that count? that i left my job?

expatinscotland Tue 19-Jul-05 14:45:26

the best thing to do is just apply. that way, you can keep a copy of the completed application form you send in. and do keep a copy of it!

even if you left your job, if your joint income is over approx. £14,000+, you will not get working tax credit.

it may effect the amount of child tax credit you get, but this amount may actually be LOWER if you're staying at home rather than paying a registered child minder.

nailpolish Tue 19-Jul-05 14:56:18

bugger. it doesnt make a difference at all.

oh well, at least ive got it sorted, thanks for advice

expatinscotland Tue 19-Jul-05 14:58:26

All you can do is try. There's a calculator on their website that can give you a guestimate as well.

Just keep hold of your records if you get any sort of award, b/c they've got this nasty habit of coming back 2 or 3 years later saying you owe them thousands of pounds.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: