Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Im sorry

(9 Posts)
bonkerz Tue 19-Jul-05 07:44:49

ok tax credits again!

quick history!!

Was told last november we owed them nearly £3000 due to overpayment. Have recieved NOTHING since July last year.
Appealed and i came out that we had been over payed for 3 years and eventually they wiped all the debt due to their maistake not ours! Was told in Jan we were entitled to money from last tax year but they then said we were entitled to nothing. I accepted this cos i was fed up.
Have just had to appeal against 2204-2005 overpayment and that was granted that it was yet again their fault!
Rang tc yesterday to find out that our tax credit for this year would be starting again on thursday and its all sorted! HOORAY
Have just checked my bank account and TC deposited over £800 yesterday!! Now in theory this is LAST years tax credit (which we were told we wouldnt get!!)
WHAT SHALL I DO!!!!!

bonkerz Tue 19-Jul-05 07:45:42

oops thats 2004-2005 !!

vickiyumyum Tue 19-Jul-05 07:47:51

ring them and ask whats going on and ask for a letter to the efffect that you can keep the money, or it has to be returned.

Fran1 Tue 19-Jul-05 07:48:18

Sadly i think if i were you i'd ring them right away and tell them. And insist that if this is an overpayment they stop all other payments to you NOW until you're clear again.

I say this because thats exactly how i got into trouble.

I got two lump sums at the beginning of the tax year and assumed it was due to underpayment the previous year. Then they carried on paying me monthly as normal. Then they write to tell me i've been paid double and had all my payment stopped for two years. Luckily my appeal means they wiped the debt after one year and things are back to normal now - but it was oh so stressful trying to understand it all!!

You may be lucky and they may tell you its ok! but at least find out for sure.

jamboure Tue 19-Jul-05 08:06:10

I just want to be able to get tc!!!!!!!

sorry
But hey I agree sty schtum otherwise credits will stop again.

What is this system like eh!!!!

jamboure Tue 19-Jul-05 08:06:29

wish they would revert back to the old way of tax credits

bonkerz Tue 19-Jul-05 18:07:55

rang them and it is money owed from last tax year! also checked and my account for that year is straight now and have requested this in writing!! HOORAH!!!!

Fran1 Tue 19-Jul-05 21:02:50

Great news for you!!

Sorry to have been so negative, but its not often you hear of situations like yours!
Lucky you.

jamboure Tue 19-Jul-05 21:10:50

Yeeha

A positive outcome

Happy spending

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: