Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Accessing Halifax online accounts from abroad - have you tried?

(14 Posts)
purpleturtle Sat 16-Jul-05 10:42:55

A friend has just told me that I won't be able to access my bank accounts from abroad. I bank with Halifax, and use internet banking. He has swtiched to HSBC. We are about to go traipsing across the planet for the autumn - do I have to change my bank too?

sparklymieow Sat 16-Jul-05 10:44:18

I can't see now, its not like you can't assess other sites that are not co.uk here now is it??

sparklymieow Sat 16-Jul-05 10:44:38

*see why not*

SaintGeorge Sat 16-Jul-05 10:44:51

I seem to recall that there are some additional terms and conditions on the Halifax site regarding access from abroad. Long time since I have used the site though so I might be wrong.

Check out the security section of the site - it might say something there.

hercules Sat 16-Jul-05 10:45:54

DH was able to access Halifax from Canada.

purpleturtle Sat 16-Jul-05 10:46:38

All I can see is that you can't apply for new accounts from abroad. Which is fair enough.

My other concern is that having sold our house, we will have no permanent address (UK or otherwise), and that might reflect badly on us too. Presumably, I could provide my parents' address or something?

purpleturtle Sat 16-Jul-05 10:47:10

Thanks, Hercules - that's the kind of encouraging voice I want to hear!

SaintGeorge Sat 16-Jul-05 10:47:50

Just checked - apparently you can't use their online products if you aren't a UK resident.

see this page and click on the 'important message' at the bottom.

If you are just travelling, but still registered as a UK resident, then it is just local by-laws you would have to comply with

SaintGeorge Sat 16-Jul-05 10:48:17

x posts, sorry

purpleturtle Sat 16-Jul-05 10:52:53

Would we remain UK residents until we had somewhere more permanent elsewhere? Or are we no longer resident once we've sold our house and flown to Australia for 3 months?

SaintGeorge Sat 16-Jul-05 10:56:22

Not sure. Why not email Halifax and ask their advice? They are in the best position to tell you what they will and won't allow with regard to access to your accounts.

purpleturtle Sat 16-Jul-05 11:00:35

We're about to go and ask in our local branch, equipped with id in case we need to continue to HSBC! I like the Halifax, though, and I don't want to leave

Thanks all!

SofiaAmes Sun 17-Jul-05 09:33:56

I bank with royal bank of scotland and had no problem banking online when I was abroad. I used to bank with barclays and in theory had no problem, but the system reset itself while I was abroad and they mailed the new password to my house in england, so I couldn't get it and couldn't get onto my account.

purpleturtle Sun 17-Jul-05 09:38:03

According to the branch we should be fine. I'm not 100% confident that they know what they're talking about, but I can't be bothered moving my bank account when we've no permanent address or job between us to give a new bank! If everything pans out, once we're working abroad, we'll be able to bank there too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now