Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does anyone know law for tenants/landlords/public?

(9 Posts)
Mosschops30 Thu 14-Jul-05 13:18:36

Message withdrawn

Mosschops30 Thu 14-Jul-05 14:34:08

Message withdrawn

stacijc Thu 14-Jul-05 14:50:00

i think (think) that if he servea an eviction notice they have to leave within a month...if they don't leave then he has to apply to the courts to get them evicted. I think its that anyway. Its a lengthy process and i would suggest ur landlord gets in contact with a solicitor, they will advise better than i can, i just get my info from my rental contract and bailiffs on tv lol!!!!

SenoraPostrophe Thu 14-Jul-05 14:53:35

They don't have to let him in, no, but he can give notice to end the contract in accordance with the terms they originally signed to (usually one or two months, or the end of the initial 6 month contract).

Not letting the landlord in is about the only right tenants have these days.

SenoraPostrophe Thu 14-Jul-05 14:55:03

sorry, just re-read stacijc's post.

If he serves notice and they fail to leave, or if they aren't paying rent, then getting a court order is not a lengthy process at all: it's more or less a formality and can take a couple of weeks. He probably doesn't even need a solicitor.

butty Thu 14-Jul-05 15:36:48

he only has to give 6 weeks notice and depending on the contract he has drawn up he may be able to gain entry, but only if this was binding in a contract!!! Most landlords tend to add this cluase to prevent situations like these from happening. Even if it only states for servicing purposes the landlord has the right to gain entry.!! Advise him to check the contract and not to listen to their so called rights.!!

Mosschops30 Thu 14-Jul-05 16:30:18

Message withdrawn

stacijc Fri 15-Jul-05 22:53:55

i think ur rights depend on the kind of contract....if its month by month why does he renew it?

I have a shorthold assured tenancy agreement which was originally for 6 months but as we stayed on it is valid until we leave with no need to sign another. The notice my landlord has to give me is 2 weeks and must tell me in writing. he also has to inform me in writing 24 hrs b4 he wants to gain access but seeing as we see him every day that point matters not!!! he owns the shop we live above and delivers our post thru an adjoining door as we have no letter box.

mum2c Mon 18-Jul-05 09:47:13

It sounds like these tenants are now on a Periodic Tenancy. Suggest you have a look at
\link{http://compactlaw.co.uk} which has lots of clear info regarding tenancy agreements.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now