Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Putting your house into storage - what does it cost?

(8 Posts)
purpleturtle Wed 13-Jul-05 21:53:30

We're having to face the fact that we are going to need to store the contents of our 3-bed terrace in the short to mid-term (hopefully - maybe even long-term). The ideal would be that we'd be able to ship it somewhere - preferably without having to deal with it ourselves - but we don't know where we're going yet. [Eeek! emoticon]

So, do any of you wonderful people have any idea how much I'm going to have to pay to not see my stuff for ages? Any advice/recommendations gratefully received.

collision Wed 13-Jul-05 21:55:50

I was told by Bearsby Removals who were recommended by a MNetter that to store 10 tables and about 40 chairs (we have a restaurant!) it would take so many storage boxes which cost about £11 per week.

Call them and they will give you a quote.

Will get the number for you if you like. Where are you based and where do you want to go?

purpleturtle Wed 13-Jul-05 22:03:08

Well, we've sold our house in Sheffield, and the world is, quite literally, our oyster. Yesterday we ruled out a particular spot in America; today we're talking to somebody in Australia; and there's a slim possibility in Sweden. We probably complete (and have to move out) around the 22nd August. And I've done nothing! Do they call that denial?

All phone numbers gratefully received, so long as the wine I just sploshed on the keyboard doesn't wreck the computer.

purpleturtle Thu 14-Jul-05 09:45:56

bump

purpleturtle Thu 14-Jul-05 17:04:46

Things move quickly round here - despite being a family of turtles! Decision made: we are going to spend the autumn in Perth, WA, with a view to going out there longer term after Christmas. Maybe.

So, the storage issue remains at the forefront of my mind. Please help!

Hulababy Fri 15-Jul-05 08:47:08

Think best thing to do is to phone a few places up locally and get some quotes TBH. Might be easier.

Good luck with the move, and your time in Australia. Exciting times

turquoise Fri 15-Jul-05 08:53:00

Michael Gerson in North LOndon are excellent for overseas removals, and also do storage (still got half my stuff). We used them to go to the States and back.
Could find you the number if you're interested.

purpleturtle Fri 15-Jul-05 09:03:36

I've drawn red rings round a few places in the yellow pages, so one of my jobs for today is to actually ring the numbers! Thanks for the offer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: