Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

MIL has given us £50 to start a collection of something for DD as an investment. What on earth should we buy?

(27 Posts)
franch Fri 08-Jul-05 17:43:44

MIL is a muslim so can't give us money to invest and earn interest on directly. So she wants us to buy something as the start of some sort of collection - something that can be added to in the future and will eventually be worth something. She's left it to us to work out what on earth that could be!

I have no desire to burden DD with clutter from such an early age but need to respect MIL's wishes. I know she can ill afford £50 and the thought is a very kind one. Any ideas??

Twiglett Fri 08-Jul-05 17:44:35

gold bullion

starlover Fri 08-Jul-05 17:44:37

how old is your dd?

Hulababy Fri 08-Jul-05 17:45:04

What about a piece of jewellry for her for when she is older? Maybe a charm bracelet that can have extra charms added to it for special occassions as DD grows up?

okapi Fri 08-Jul-05 17:45:37

could you buy premium bonds?

giraffeski Fri 08-Jul-05 17:47:31

Message withdrawn

franch Fri 08-Jul-05 17:53:28

DD is 18m. Like the bracelet idea. Premium bonds a no-no because that's gambling I think.

starlover Fri 08-Jul-05 17:54:21

people have been giving ds the bunnykins china set which is nice. hard to get hold of because they're onyl making the melamine version now though

Twiglett Fri 08-Jul-05 17:56:40

don't know if its of any interest but there was a unit trust just launched that caters for the muslim community with reference to the baby bonds .. you could look at that in terms of long term investment if interested

Hulababy Fri 08-Jul-05 17:58:18

There is more information about the muslim savings thing here

franch Fri 08-Jul-05 17:59:43

Aha, very interesting - thanks

franch Fri 08-Jul-05 18:03:14

Hmm, looks like it's just for the baby bonds though. Also it's taken MIL 18 months to come up with the collecting idea so maybe we should stick with that ....

franch Fri 08-Jul-05 18:03:51

Oh, and DD seems to have a trillion bank accounts in her name already for various reasons! Lucky for some

triceratops Fri 08-Jul-05 18:30:12

I sold off all my bunnikins stuff on ebay and only got a couple of quid for it as it is too common to be valuable. I would go for antique childrens books with illustrations. They don't take up too much room and they are beautiful to read and look at.

franch Fri 08-Jul-05 19:40:12

That's a nice idea tri

morningpaper Fri 08-Jul-05 19:47:10

What about a nice family Quran that she could keep as something special?

Or jewellery is obvious and a good idea too - or a posh jewellery box and then you can add nice bits of jewellery on birthdays etc.

I'd SERIOUSLY say no to other 'collection' type things - I had loads of stuff from when I was a child (my parents collected antique china for me FFS) which I ended up giving to jumble sales when I left home because it was SO not to my taste.

franch Fri 08-Jul-05 19:58:48

We are not Muslims, MIL just converted relatively recently in her old age - so no to Quran Jewellery a def possibility, altho the taste element applies there too - actually not sure if any of these things are really an 'investment' but suppose I might as well try to get something DD will enjoy even if it's worth nothing in the end

morningpaper Fri 08-Jul-05 20:02:41

Yes jewellery is admittedly a personal thing but at least it doesn't take up much room! And doesn't need to be in display causing permanent guilt ...

KatyMac Fri 08-Jul-05 20:07:29

What about either gold as mentioned before or a diamond

I bought a (admittedly very small) diamond for my grandparents diamond wedding - just went into a jewellers (one that made stuff) and said I want to spend x amount. I got a diamond and my grandad had it made into a pendant for my G'ma (it will be left to my dd)

It's small, easily stored and they have almost never lost their value in over 60 yrs

If you get more gifts you can either buy more or part ex the one you have for a bigger one - you never know you could end up with a pair of 1 carat ear-rings when she's 21 and they aren't subject to taste are they.......

triceratops Fri 08-Jul-05 22:31:40

The resale value on jewellery especially diamonds is rubbish. Unless you buy antiques and then they have already had that drop in price. Also if this is supposed to be an investment it should be something she will not become too attatched to so that she can sell it and use the money for college etc. I saw some lovely antique tiles on ebay with islamic designs on them.

janeybops Fri 08-Jul-05 22:45:15

vintage port

janeybops Fri 08-Jul-05 22:45:54

ohh sorry didn't notice you were muslim till after posted. sorry!

SueW Fri 08-Jul-05 23:50:47

Steiff teddies or Swarovski stars. ISTR that Steiff hve a small bear that comes out each year, in the same way the stars do. OTOH these may be both focussed on Xmas so it may be more prudent to look at collectors' club items for either manufacturer.

The stars cost around £35 quid new but even at this time of year they seem to go for silly money on ebay once they are a few years old. And if not wanting to sell, they are still gorgeous. We're aiming for enough to decorate a table top tree.

hunkermunker Fri 08-Jul-05 23:52:49

How about this?

rickman Sat 09-Jul-05 01:03:45

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now